Running Point To Raster has output coordinate system different from input?

Jump to solution
11-06-2014 11:08 PM
ChristinaKreim
New Contributor II

I need to transform a DEM from a Point-Feature-Class (Shape) to raster (GRID). For that I'm using the tool 'point to raster' and it works perfectly.

The only problem is that it seems to change the coordinate system, so that my resulting GRID has another system than my Shape.

The Shape has DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3 (which I want to keep), but the resulting GRID has Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz_Transverse_Mercator.

My data frame has the (desired) coordinate system DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3, as well as my output FC. The output coordinate system in the environments is set to 'same as input'. Even though, my output GRID continues to have the Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz_Transverse_Mercator as space reference...

Can anyone tell me why that is and how I can prevent it?

Or is there any way to transform the Transverse_Mercator-system back to Gauss?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Output the raster to a file geoDB (or tiff or something else) instead of GRID format.

It is probably a limitation of the rather old grid format which is causing the description of the output raster SR to change.

I believe it hasn't really changed the SR, just described it in terms that are not quite the same as the input points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Add the point file that has the correct coordinate system to a new data frame without any other data in it.  It should set the coordinate system of the dataframe automatically.  ensure that this is the case...perform the transformation in that data frame with no other data analyzed.  it is not possible that Arc randomly picks a coordinate system for output, it is either the system for the input file or the dataframe

0 Kudos
ChristinaKreim
New Contributor II

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunatelly, this brings the exact same result...

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Output the raster to a file geoDB (or tiff or something else) instead of GRID format.

It is probably a limitation of the rather old grid format which is causing the description of the output raster SR to change.

I believe it hasn't really changed the SR, just described it in terms that are not quite the same as the input points.

0 Kudos
ChristinaKreim
New Contributor II

Yeah, it worked! Thank you!!

0 Kudos