Setting extent for map in Basic Viewer web mapping application

09-10-2012 12:08 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ncurri

Hello,

I've published several maps using the Basic Viewer web mapping application, and the initial extent in the web app is always a little off - shifted a bit east and clipped off on the south end (see attached images).

Web map, saved at this extent:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17582[/ATTACH]

Same web map, shown in web app at initial extent:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17583[/ATTACH]

Tweaking the map extent to show the extent of the map where I want it takes a lot of trial and error. I need to figure out not just how many hundredths of a decimal degree or to adjust the min and max Y to shift the map west, but I also need to essentially zoom out and increase the extent in both X and Y directions, since the features are being cut off in the south. And since the web app displays the map in landscape orientation, increasing the extent in the Y direction to account for the increase I need in the X direction is not a 1 to 1 thing. I actually need to increase the extent in the Y direction somewhat more than in the X direction. Figuring out how much is a bit of a mystery - it's totally trial and error. There's got to be an easier way to do this. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mikem

I haven't found an easy way to do it...

The problem is, I believe, that the aspect ratio of the map display area is slightly different between the two maps and also the size of the left panel. What I have noticed is if I close the panel on both, the map center point appears to be the same then...

Mike
0 Kudos
NeilCurri
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply, Mike. Another thing I tried was taking the bounding coordinates of the largest layer in the map and using those coordinates for the map extextent. The result is worse.

Do people creating maps and services on their own ArcGIS servers have the same problem? This has to be configurable, somehow. If it can be done on ArcGIS Server, why not on ArcGIS.com? The offset when loading for the first time makes the map look unprofessional to me, not to mention a little confusing for the users, especially new users.
0 Kudos