using secure ArcGIS Server services

04-11-2011 05:23 AM
JörgMoosmeier
Esri Contributor
Hi all,

I have setup my AGS with SQL-Server/Token based security. Works just fine within the REST directory and ArcGIS Desktop.
I'm having trouble using a secure service in ArcGIS.com (adding in My content) or accessing the secure service in ArcGIS.com Viewer or Explorer Online.
Is it possible at all to use secure services (either Token based or HTTP basic/digest) in ArcGIS.com and these viewers?

Thank you
Joerg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, we don't currently support access to secure services. We do have this logged as an enhancement request, but presently, there is no time frame set for when this feature will be available.

If you would like to promote this idea within the user community, go to

http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaList?c=09a300000004xET&category=ArcGIS+Online

as we use this feedback to help set priorities.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewPratt
New Contributor III
I need this as well. There's no point having Groups to manage ArcGIS.com maps if I have to expose all my ArcGIS Server services to the public.
0 Kudos
JörgMoosmeier
Esri Contributor
Mike,

thank you for the quick answer. Hopefully this will be implemented soon (together with secure services for the smartphone apps). I will go to ideas and promote this.

Joerg
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
any update on this?

I have a non-public map saved on arcgis.com. i generated a token using the following url:

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/generateToken?f=json&request=gettoken&username=MYUSERNAME&password=MYPASSWORD&Referer=MYUSERNAME

token = ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I then found the ItemID of my non-public map. ItemID = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am able to view the json using this url:
http://www.arcgis.com/sharing/content/items/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data?f=pjson&token=tttttttttt...

I downloaded the chrome legend map template from here and installed it on our webserver:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c9f1750f9b9f496ca7df16fa31870145

I can view the default webmap when pointing to our webserver's URL. If I open the template .html file and alter the webmap setting, to point to a different, publicly available map, it works great. However, when I alter the webmap setting in the .html to the following:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data?f=pjson&token=ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I get a login box, of which i enter my arcgis.com username/password, (same that was used to generate the token) and it just says 'username/password invalid'

any ideas??

thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Secure ArcGIS Server services are now supported in the map when you add the layer directly to the map. From the map, click Add, then click Layer from the web. Enter the URL to the ArcGIS Server service and click OK. You'll be prompted to enter a username and password. This web map can then be referenced from a template and the user will be prompted to enter the username and password. This is supported with ArcGIS Server 10 sp1 and later.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
thanks mike.

However, i'm not connecting to any secure ArcGIS Server services, I just added all layers to the map via .zip shapefile. I'm trying to connect to the Arcgis.com map that i have saved, (shared with a private group) from a custom template I have on our webserver.

I understand this is accomplished with tokens but i'm not able to get it to work.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
When did you download the template? I believe it was updated in the last month or so to include a feature that will allow a user to authenticate themselves. There is a new identity manager that does this.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples/widget_identitymanager.html

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
MattMerrifield
New Contributor II
Secure ArcGIS Server services are now supported in the map when you add the layer directly to the map. From the map, click Add, then click Layer from the web. Enter the URL to the ArcGIS Server service and click OK. You'll be prompted to enter a username and password. This web map can then be referenced from a template and the user will be prompted to enter the username and password. This is supported with ArcGIS Server 10 sp1 and later.

Hope this helps,

Mike

hi Mike - I'm not sure if you are specifically referencing arcgis.com or one of the downloaded templates.  The short of it is that I am unable to add secure map services to my arcgis.com map. I add the url to the rest endpoint and I am then prompted for credentials.  However the credentials are failing (getting  "Invalid username/password. Please try again").  I'm pretty darn sure my credentials are correct - I can successfully log in to my ArcGIS Server REST API.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt Merrifield | GIS Manager | The Nature Conservancy
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Matt,

Do you have any tools that can track the requests/responses being sent? For example, Firebug for Firefox, or Google Chrome has some built in tools.There may be a more verbose error message...

Or alternatively, can you provide the URL to your service and some credentials to connect to it? You can send this to me in a private message.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos