Support for CSV with föreign letters (äöå) when using ArcGIS Online's add file option

Jump to solution
05-18-2012 02:50 AM
LilianaDiaz
New Contributor
Hi,
I've used ArcGIS Online for some time now and it has worked very good for CSV files with foreign letters. I usually drag and drop the file to the map without any problem perserving my Swedish letters (öäå).
I'm now using AGOL subscription to add a CSV file with more than 1000 points. When I add the CSV file using the menu: Add --> Add layer from file I lost my Swedish characters.

First I thought was a problem of ArcGIS Online for organizations, but now I have tested that it also occurs in ArcGIS.com. If I add to the map the same CSV file via the menu I lost my Swedish characters.
Is there a workaround to this? I need to publish a CSV file with more than 1000 points and keep my foreign letters.

Can be this a little problem that needs to be fixed in the ArcGIS Online cloud? Perhaps review what the menu does to the files? or looking into support for international letters?
Thank you ver much for your prompt answer.   

/Liliana

PS. Attach a print screen of the result of adding the same CSV file via the Add menu and the drag&drop method.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mikem

Seems like Excel may have a problem? I tried downloading your original spreadsheet and saving it as CSV from Excel using UTF8, but it didn't work. So I opened the CSV in Notepad, then again saved it as UTF8 encoding and it worked...The file is attached.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

First, let me say that your subscription will not allow you to add more points to your web map. A subscription will allow you to create a feature service that can serve up those features rather than storing them in the web map.  So, if you are able to load the 1000 features via drag-n-drop and get acceptable performance, then you are ok. The 1000 feature limit is a general guideline and will vary depending on the type of features (points, lines, polys) and the browser you are displaying the web map in.

Now, about the text coming across differently, are there addresses in your CSV file? Can you share your CSV file here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LilianaDiaz
New Contributor
Hi Mike,
Thx for your prompt respond!

Sorry, by "I'm now using AGOL subscription to add a CSV file" I meant publishing a CSV file via "Add Item". It gets published as a Feature Service and that is the service I used in my webmap (see imgs).

My CSV file has X and Y coordinates and not addresses. I have also attached the CSV file I'm using (as .xlsx since I couldn't upload .csv). It contains för now test data but under Län's column I will be having information as Stockholms län, Västerås län, Lindingö stad, etc. Same thing under "kommun" (municipality) and "resultat", I will be having info med Swedish characters.

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Liliana,

I suspect your CSV file is not stored in UTF-8 encoding. I successfully took a subset of the features in your excel file and saved them as a CSV with UTF-8 encoding (attached in ZIP format). I then published the following service:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?services=67d729646f3b48679631d385d2060ab4

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
LilianaDiaz
New Contributor
Hey Mike,
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used your zipped file i AGOL Organizations and it worked! However, when I save my CSV file in UTF-8 unicode (see attachment) and do the same, I don't get the Swedish letters (Grrr)
How did you create your CSV in UTF-8 code?
I'm using excel, when I'm saving the file as CSV format, I select Web Options (Webbalternativ in attachment) and then Unicode.
Thank you very much!
/Liliana
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems like Excel may have a problem? I tried downloading your original spreadsheet and saving it as CSV from Excel using UTF8, but it didn't work. So I opened the CSV in Notepad, then again saved it as UTF8 encoding and it worked...The file is attached.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LilianaDiaz
New Contributor
Hi Mike!
Japp, Excel was the problem. I tested your attached file and it worked fine but as soon as I open it in Excel and save it as CSV (in UTF-8 format) stops working.
Thank you very much for your help!
ArcGIS Online for organizations is working just fine.

Best Regards,
/Liliana
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: adcadc

This worked for me, too!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
OscarMonell
Esri Contributor
Perfect!