Issues saving a file when using Aerial Imagery from the Add Basemap feature

08-20-2014 01:01 PM
DaveCoss
New Contributor

I cannot save an .mxd file that has an aerial Imagery used as a background from the "Add Basemap" function within ArcMap.  I can add any other aerial imagery without any problems, but I have to remove any imagery obtained from the Add Basemap feature.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dave,

What is the error you are receiving when you try to save an MXD that contains the Imagery Basemap?

0 Kudos
DaveCoss
New Contributor

hi Jake,

thanks for the reply.  The error I receive is as follows:

"Unable to save.  Check to make sure you have write access to the specified file and that there is enough space on the storage device to hold your document."

and then it gives another error message stating:  "An unknown error occurred while accessing......{it gives the file string that it's trying to access}

I can remove that basemap and insert any other large image or aerial and it saves fine.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Dave

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

What version of Desktop are you using (i.e. ArcGIS 10.1 SP1)?

A couple of things to try:

1.  Does this only occur with a specific MXD?  If so, copy the layers and paste them into a new blank map document and

then try saving.  Do you still receive the same error?

2.  Delete or rename the "ESRI" directory in the registry. Go to Start > Run > type "regedit". Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software. Delete or rename the entire ESRI directory. Make sure you do this with ArcMap and ArcCatalog closed. The benefit of renaming rather than deleting is if there are undesired effects you can delete the new ESRI directory and return the old one to it's original name.  Do you still receive the same error?

0 Kudos
DaveCoss
New Contributor

Jake,

I tried both 1 and 2 but I still have the same exact issue and error.

thanks for the suggestions.

Dave

0 Kudos
DaveCoss
New Contributor

I have even un-installed and re-installed ArcMap and still have the same problem.  The version I'm using is 10.2.2.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would recommend contacting Tech Support at this point.

0 Kudos