Feature dataset limit?

Jump to solution
08-10-2014 09:25 PM
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Is there a limit on the number of feature datasets that I can create in a file geodatabase? Does this at some point cause performance issues, or is there a hard limit?

I have a file geodatabase in which each month I receive some data that is placed in a feature dataset named after that month. This in theory will be happening in perpetuity. Is there another method of data management that I should be investigating?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From the help files

General discussion including Personal gdb

File Geodatabase

Enterprise Geodatabase

which should give you a starting point for consideration

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From the help files

General discussion including Personal gdb

File Geodatabase

Enterprise Geodatabase

which should give you a starting point for consideration

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Dan.

I read through the help files and have come to the conclusion that there should be no limit to the number of feature datasets that I can have sitting in a file geodatabase. However, it is never explicitly addressed. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that I would not run into difficulties in the future. But given the volumes of data that the geodatabases are designed to handle, I would assume that multiple feature datasets would not cause issues.

0 Kudos
ahmedzeidan
New Contributor II

Farther to Dan's answer, i would like to share with you a very old article entitled "The Top Nine Reasons to use a File Geodatabase" which could help you.

http://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pdfs/news/arcuser/0309/files/9reasons.pdf