symbology by date

08-07-2014 09:01 PM
joshuathomson
New Contributor

Is it possible to use different symbols driven by the date in a field?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

The symbology options for date fields seem to be very limited. Basically the same options you get with unique value renderers.

You could use multiple layers (using the same underlying data source) with definition queries to specifiy date ranges and then create you symbology for each layer..

In what context are you trying to symbolize your dates? - for example within a range, before or after a certain date.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Owen,

How do you do a range of dates in the Query builder.  I can't seem to get it to work properly.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Josh,

Depending on the underlying database flavor the between operator works for most if 'between' is not supported then you just do a greater than and less than SQL Statement.

Begin_Date_Occ BETWEEN date '2010-11-15 14:00:00' AND date '2011-09-01 09:30:38'

Begin_Date_Occ > date '2010-11-15 14:00:00' AND Begin_Date_Occ < date '2011-09-01 09:30:38'

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Robert,

Thanks I actually figured it out, what I forgot to do was enter the field name again.

I was using Begin_Date_Occ > date '2010-11-15 14:00:00' AND < date '2011-09-01 09:30:38'

so the syntax was invalid.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

If your feature class is stored in a database then, possibly you can create a spatial view representing your date as integer.

(Year * 10000) + (Month * 100) + date

E.g. 08/08/2014 will become, 20140808. You can then use this integer representation of your date to define your symbology.

joshuathomson
New Contributor

I am trying to symbolise by Australian financial year using a field DD/MM/YYYY. Thanks Owen, I think the easiest solution is yours, using definition queries. It may be a bit of a pain as I have 25yrs+ worth of point data. Thanks

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

You can use the attached dbf table as a join to your date field (the field must have dates only with no time other than 12 AM) to associate all of the typical date component groupings and break-downs, without calculating those values into the feature class or creating separate layers for each date grouping.  The table covers all dates between 1/1/1860 and 1/1/2102.  All grouping fields are numeric and are:

YEAR_VALUE (only the values 1860-2102)

MONTH_VALU (only the values 1-12)

YEAR_MONTH (values 186001 to 210201, with the first 4 digits being 1860 to 2102 and last two digits being between 01 and 12)

YEAR_DECIM = YEAR_DECIMAL_MONTH in gdb (a numeric representation of the year with a fractional value for the month of the year in 1/12th fractions)

YEAR_DEC_1 = YEAR_DECIMAL_DAY in gdb (a numeric representation of the year with a fractional value for the day of the year in 1/365th or 1/366th fractions)

DAY_VALUE (only the values 1-31)

Because all of the grouping fields are numeric you can construct Quantities or Charts symbology with these values.  You can also do a multi-field sort of your table view by the MONTH_VALU field and then the YEAR_VALUE field or by the DAY_VALUE before or after the MONTH_VALU or YEAR_VALUE with this table joined to your date field.  Of course, if you join the table and then export/ copy features, etc. you can permanently add all of the grouping fields to a copy of your feature class without doing multiple field calculations.

If you feel the table should include other grouping fields let me know.  For example, a string version of the Month and Day fields with leading zeros could be useful for Category symbology so that it sorts correctly, or a set of quarter or fiscal year groupings (for example, numeric fractional fiscal years like 20142015 with July 1-31 set as a fractional value of 0 and June 1-30 is set as 11/12th of the year for sorting purposes)

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joshua,

Symbology: How can I make a symbol to change color based on overdue date value

You can create a new field with datatype Long in attribute table.

Considering your date format in DD/MM/YYYY,

In its field calculator, paste the following

Int (Right( [Date], 4 ) & Mid( [Date], 4, 2 ) & Left( [Date], 2  )  )

Then use the above  field to symbolize the data.

Assumption:

The field name of your Date field is "Date".

Make sure your system's Regional Date setting is in same format (DD/MM/YYYY)

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos