ArcGIS Server 10x: Oracle Connection: ArcSDE Needed?

Jump to solution
07-25-2014 09:42 AM
IrfanClemson
Occasional Contributor II

[Didn't get a response from either GIS Stackexchange or from Stackoverflow--maybe I should have posted here first. Sorry, if I seem like spamming but am stuck].

I have been tasked with migrating some ArcGIS Services from an ArcGIS Server 10.0 (say, server A) to another (more robust) machine running ArcGIS Server 10.2 (server B).

The Services on A are pointing to an Oracle Database Server 10.2 (64 bit, I think). So far, on Server B, I have only installed the ArcGIS Server 10.2 software--and no Oracle Client yet.

On server A, there IS an ArcSDE Service running; there may be both 32/64 bit Oracle clients installed on server A.

Questions:

1) Should I install Oracle Instant Client 32 bit or 64 bit server B?

2) Should I install ArcSDE Application Server on server B? If so then where do find the installation file? Also, no Desktop connections will be needed to the Oracle db server and so any 'direct' connection would be okay?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Starting from 10.1, ArcGIS Server is only available as a 64-bit Application. So, you will need to install Oracle 64-Client accordingly.

ArcSDE only needs to be installed if you plan to use the Application Server connections on the new box as well, otherwise Direct Connections can work as well.

It is not necessary to install ArcSDE on any particular serevr, it can be installed on any server of your choice, however I would recommend installing it on the Database Server if possible.

The Installation file for ArcSDE will be available on the "My ESRI" site (Esri Accounts)‌ for download.

Note: Considering that the ArcSDE Command line tools and the ArcSDE Appplication Server Connections are planned for deprecation in the next major release, now would be a good time to migrate to "Direct Connections"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Starting from 10.1, ArcGIS Server is only available as a 64-bit Application. So, you will need to install Oracle 64-Client accordingly.

ArcSDE only needs to be installed if you plan to use the Application Server connections on the new box as well, otherwise Direct Connections can work as well.

It is not necessary to install ArcSDE on any particular serevr, it can be installed on any server of your choice, however I would recommend installing it on the Database Server if possible.

The Installation file for ArcSDE will be available on the "My ESRI" site (Esri Accounts)‌ for download.

Note: Considering that the ArcSDE Command line tools and the ArcSDE Appplication Server Connections are planned for deprecation in the next major release, now would be a good time to migrate to "Direct Connections"

IrfanClemson

Asrujit SenGupta‌,

Thanks! Related question:

How do I actually migrate the Services already published on server A to server B? Okay, let's assume I have installed the 64 bit Oracle Client and assume that I will NOT be installing ArcSDE. So the next step would be to, somehow, perhaps using ArcGIS Manager, make a connection to the Oracle database server? The Oracle database server is on a different machine but same network (intranet).

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I don't believe that you can migrate the Services published using Server 10.0 to Server 10.2. You will have to republish all the services.

0 Kudos
IrfanClemson

Yes, I know I'll have to re-publish because server B is a different machine. I need to understand the workflow because the server B will need to access the already available geodatabases for the Sevices currently being used by server A. After we do that then server A will be decommissioned.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What to expect when migrating ArcGIS Server 10.0 to later versions:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Migrating ArcGIS Server 10.0 to later versions:

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Meengla Yip Will these help? or do you need some info regarding connection from Server 10.2 to the Oracle gdb?

0 Kudos
IrfanClemson

Hi, Please see my Reply above--about a needed 'workflow' for my migration needs. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I think this link is the closest to what you are looking for:

0 Kudos