ESRI JavaScript API 3.8 Locator: SyntaxError {log: undefined, stack: (…), message: “Unexpected token <”}

07-10-2014 09:51 AM
BrandonColeman
New Contributor III

I am having issues trying to set up a geocoder/locator on my server and also trying to query my geometry service when trying to project some lat/long coordinated. I keep getting an error SyntaxError {log: undefined, stack: (...), message: "Unexpected token <"}, but I can't seem to figure out why. I tried exploring the error message, but I don't get much good information out of it.

I have tried using ESRI's geocoder widget then created my own set up using the locator service. I have checked my address string, and I believe it should be passing correctly over to the server.

If I am understanding the error message right, it is saying there is a token "<" somewhere that shouldn't be there, but I cannot find it.

Other info... I am running version 9.3.1 for my server, using the JavaScript API 3.8 that ESRI hosts, and created an address locator on my server using street centerlines for the area I am mapping.

Has anyone run into this issue before or have suggestions for me? Right now, I am just trying to center the map on the location. Once I get that done, I can worry about all the other stuff.

My code for the locator is below.  The site I am working on is at: Louisville Urban Tree Canopy Analysis‌. 

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
locator = new Locator(singleFieldGeocodeURL);
//add handler for completion
locator.on("address-to-locations-complete", showResults);

//trying to find the error
locator.on("error", function (error) {
  errorObject = error;
  console.log("error" + error);

});

//add handler for button click
on(dom.byId('locate'), 'click', function () {

console.log(dom.byId('address').value);

map.graphics.clear();
  var address = {
  "SingleLine": dom.byId('address').value
  };

locator.outSpatialReference = map.spatialReference;

var options = {
  address: { street: address },
  outFields: ["Loc_name"]

};
  locator.addressToLocations(options);

});

function showResults(evt) {
  console.log("in show results");
  var candidate;
  var symbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol();
  symbol.setStyle(SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE_SQUARE);
  symbol.setColor(new Color([153, 0, 51, 0.75]));

var geom;
  arrayUtils.event(evt.addresses, function (candidate) {
  console.log(candidate.score);
  if (candidate.score > 80) {
  console.log(candidate.location);
  var attributes = {
  address: candidate.address,
  score: candidate.score,
  locatorName: candidate.attributes.Loc_name
  };
  geom = candidate.location;
  var graphic = new Graphic(geom, symbol, attributes, null);
  map.graphics.add(graphic);

return false;

}
  });

if (geom !== undefined) {
  map.centerAndZoom(geom, 12);
  }

}

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IanGrasshoff
Occasional Contributor

That's the type of error you get when trying to access a secure service without logging in/providing a token via your code.  I would start by checking the security on your ArcGIS server rest service/folder.  If you have security switched on, then you will need to provide a token (you should use a proxy page).  If you don't need security just switch it off and try again.

0 Kudos
IanGrasshoff
Occasional Contributor

Also, it would help if you posted a code snippet so we can see how you setup/use the Geocoder widget.  Sometimes the token errors aren't related to security but have to do with some invalid parameter.

0 Kudos
BrandonColeman
New Contributor III

Here is the code I was using for the widget...  I added in a div id='search' to try this on.  I am not sure about the 3rd parameter of the myGeocoders list though.  The first time I tried it, I wasn't using a 3rd parameter.  I just tried it using the SingleField geocoder, and I got the same message.

var myGeocoders = [{ url: singleFieldGeocodeURL, name: "SingleField", singleLineFieldName: "ROADNAME" }, { url: alphaNumericGeocodeURL, name: "AlphaNumeric" }];

geocoder = new Geocoder({

map: map,

autoComplete: true,

arcgisGeocoder: false,

geocoders: myGeocoders

}, "search");

geocoder.startup();

Also, for sharing the the ArcGIS Server/Rest folder... I didn't set up the server so I am not sure if it is set properly.  For the rest folder, do I have to grant the SOC and SOM user accounts read/write access to it? 

Also, I have tried using the geometry service I set up, and I got the same error message.  For that, I was trying to use HTML5's geolocation to position the map to the person's approximate location.  I was trying to use the geometry service to reproject the lat/long coords into my map's projection.  That code is:

on(map, "load", function () {

if (navigator.geolocation) {

navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(ZoomToPosition);

}

});

function ZoomToPosition(position) {

var symbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol();

symbol.setStyle(SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE_CIRCLE);

symbol.setColor(new Color([153, 0, 51, 0.75]));

var input = new Point(position.coords.latitude, position.coords.longitude, new SpatialReference({wkid: 4326}));

var PrjParams = new ProjectParameters();

PrjParams.geometries = [input];

PrjParams.outSR = new SpatialReference({ wkid: 2246 });

geometryService.project(PrjParams, function (outputPoint) {

var graph = new Graphic(outputPoint, symbol);

map.graphics.add(graph);

map.centerAndZoom(graph, 12);

})

}

Thanks again for any advice!

0 Kudos
BrandonColeman
New Contributor III

I found out from someone on GIS Stack Exchange that my issue was something as simple as a wrong URL.  My URL wasn't point at the rest directory in my code. 

That error is gone now.  Thanks to anyone who was trying to help me out on this!