Configuring JS Basic Viewer app

05-09-2014 09:10 AM
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Hi all,
I downloaded the JS template for the Basic Viewer to try and figure out how to configure and host an app on my desktop computer. From there I guess I am sort of lost. Do I just need to edit the index.html file with my specific info and call it good? I tried doing that and I just get nothing. Am I missing something (or lots of things?) necessary?

Thanks everyone!
0 Kudos
11 Replies
HectorChapa
Occasional Contributor II
Can you post the code so I can read what are you calling?

Do you have teamviewer?

You can find me in this team viewer at hchapa@lrgvdc91.org.
I can help you trouble shoot download the teamviewer and create an acccount from there I can see your computer.
Is free.
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Can you post the code so I can read what are you calling?

Do you have teamviewer?

You can find me in this team viewer at hchapa@lrgvdc91.org.
I can help you trouble shoot download the teamviewer and create an acccount from there I can see your computer.
Is free.

I don't have Teamviewer but I did attach the txt file of the page I am trying to configure.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Have you tried using any debugging tools such as FireBug for FireFox or Developer Tools (F12) in Chrome?

There is definitely an issue with the below line

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/layout.css">

as the code does not know where to look for this stylesheet.
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Have you tried using any debugging tools such as FireBug for FireFox or Developer Tools (F12) in Chrome?

There is definitely an issue with the below line

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/layout.css">

as the code does not know where to look for this stylesheet.

Yeah, I don't really know how to use those types of tools yet. I am new to JS so I was sort of hoping downloading the template would be almost plug an play.

As far as the CSS goes, it wouldn't see the "css" folder and the layout.css file in the css folder? The html document and the css folder are in the same directory...
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Is this template part of the Beta testing for a configurable JS Viewer that ESRI plans on releasing some time in the summer?
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Is this template part of the Beta testing for a configurable JS Viewer that ESRI plans on releasing some time in the summer?

No, this is the Basic Template javascript template that is posted at Github. When you create an application from an AGOL map there is an option to download the template and that redirects you to Github to download a zip file. I thought maybe it was as easy as unzipping the files, reference my AGOL web map's ID in the html file, and then open it with a browser. I'm starting to understand I may be a little too noob for this!
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
no its not, just an old template.

Just so you know, you cant just run the file from the filesystem, it must be hosted in a webserver such as tomcat or iis
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Michael:

I would suggest using the many Javascript samples on ESRI's resource page as they provide simple examples which are easier to understand and you can put the samples together to create more complex applications.
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
no its not, just an old template.

Just so you know, you cant just run the file from the filesystem, it must be hosted in a webserver such as tomcat or iis

Jeff! I just saw something saying I need to have this on a server for it to work. Tomorrow I am going to IKEA with my little brother who is sysadmin. I think I'll see he can teach me about servers during our four hours of drive time 🙂
0 Kudos