Crazy map extent on Oracle layer

05-29-2013 09:59 PM
SimonLynch
New Contributor III
Hello Our site - Oracle 11gR2 database, ArcGIS 10.1 desktop on Win XP.
Our issue:
When i try to add an Oracle Spatial layer via direct connect to Arcmap the extent of the map shows off this planet coordinates for the extent of this layer. Our coordinate system is GDA 1994 zone 55 (ie Eastern Australia) (EPSG: 28355).

When I view the feature class 'properties' for this (Oracle spatial table) layer in ArcGIS it shows the correct coordinate system - (ie GDA 94). However when the layer is added via Catalog or 'zoom to layer' is performed - the coordinate system is clearly "off the planet". Note no other layers have this problem other than Oracle. Under ArcCatalog>Feature Class Properties for the layer, its 'Domain, Resolution and Tolerance' tab reveals what i believe is potentially the problem, the Domain shows - {see attachment} crazy Upper and Lower coordinates/numbers!

Any suggestions insights about this issue? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Simon,

No, the upper values are fine. The minimum values are what's important. When we set up the xy domain values, we use what we call the 'horizon' aka valid area of use for the coordinate reference system. That's often much larger than the actual area of...use/interest. For example, the area of use for GDA94 MGA 55 is a 6 degree wide zone between 144E and 150E and 44S and 12S (very roughly!). The minimum values for the horizon for transverse Mercator with those parameters extends to the south pole and 45 degrees west of 147E. Geodatabase storage uses approximately the minimum horizon values and then calculates the maximum values by using the minimum values, xy resolution value, and the max integer storage, 2e53 - 2 or 9007199254740990.

Anyway, what's the actual feature class extents? And they might be messed up compared to the actual data in the feature class. I would also try rebuilding the spatial index.

Melita
0 Kudos
SimonLynch
New Contributor III
Hi Simon,
Anyway, what's the actual feature class extents? And they might be messed up compared to the actual data in the feature class. I would also try rebuilding the spatial index.

Thanks Melita,
I have rebuilt the spatial index with no difference/improvement to the 'zoom to layer' problem i encounter.

The min/max extents for this layer/table are not visible from within arcmap. However the extents in SQL Developer show X 120,000, 800,000, Y 4,500,000, 6,000,000.

To demonstrate the issue with this layer... See inset jpg below - note the coordinate values in the Lower Right of the ArcMap session. This 'XY value' represents the coords in the Lower Left corner of the View Window - ie crazy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24841[/ATTACH]

Any insights what the problem might be, anyone?

Regards, Simon
0 Kudos