Services secured with HTTP/Windows authentication

Jump to solution
03-25-2013 01:17 PM
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
Under the topic "Services secured with HTTP/Windows authentication" on page 3 of the attached Help document, the first paragraph states
"For the first option above, where the browser user logs in via a pop-up dialog, you must furnish the end user with a username and password that is recognized on the ArcGIS Server system and that is permitted for the service. You must work with the administrator of the ArcGIS Server system to ensure that end users have login information."

My question is this necessary if Security for GIS Services is not enabled in Manager (which states)?
Enabling this setting requires that users of ArcGIS Server Web services provide a username and password to access services. The security store location chosen above determines how user credentials are stored and authenticated. Once security is enabled, it cannot be disabled using Manager.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
correct.  if the services themselves are freely accessible, you won't have to worry about authenticating to ArcGIS Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
if you don't have security enabled for ArcGIS Server, what resource would require authentication from a client?
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
if you don't have security enabled for ArcGIS Server, what resource would require authentication from a client?

I think you have basically re-phrased my question, John. So, if security is not enabled for the services, these instructions will not apply to the server, right?
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
correct.  if the services themselves are freely accessible, you won't have to worry about authenticating to ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos