What are the knowledge requirements to build or 'tweak' widgets for WAB?

Jump to solution
12-21-2018 11:24 AM
SladeSawyer
New Contributor II

I've been given the great opportunity to create my own education path at work. I'll need to present what is basically a curriculum of classes to my supervisor who will do his best to get them approved.

I really want to be able to create custom widgets for our online web applications, or take the standard widgets and tweak them a little. So far, my research has been to look at tutorials on how to create widgets, and what is there but not explicitly stated are the knowledge requirements. There is a lot of boilerplate templates given in the ArcGIS tutorial, which is great for creating and deploying widgets, but I would just be following instructions. My goal is to know the whys and hows of these steps.

What would be really great is if I could get some feedback on programming languages and general knowledge subjects that would give me the tools I need to create custom widgets.

I would think the following would provide a solid foundation, based on looking at some of the resources provided by ESRI:

1. Javascript/Typescript proficiency. This is the language used in the app itself.

2. Object oriented programming. This is the style of coding used in the app and APIs

3. Data transfer between the widget and our organizations data:

This includes a couple of subjects, like using APIs as an interface for consuming published AGOL/Portal services

If I were familiar with the above subjects, would I be in a good spot to create custom widgets? Are there other subjects to know that would help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Slade,

Those are some good resources. I personally do not use typeScript or visual studio code for development but that is just a matter of preference. I did all my learning by looking at existing OTB widgets and studying the code and following its code logic in the functions to understand them. WAB widgets use dojo templated dijit/widget programming, so studying Dojo dijit widget development is a definite area to focus on. Esri has some video series for widget development too.

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Advanced Development Tools and Techniques Video | Esri  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Slade,

Those are some good resources. I personally do not use typeScript or visual studio code for development but that is just a matter of preference. I did all my learning by looking at existing OTB widgets and studying the code and following its code logic in the functions to understand them. WAB widgets use dojo templated dijit/widget programming, so studying Dojo dijit widget development is a definite area to focus on. Esri has some video series for widget development too.

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Advanced Development Tools and Techniques Video | Esri  

SladeSawyer
New Contributor II

Robert,

thanks for your input! Its great to hear from someone who has a lot of experience and success.I'll follow up with your suggestions, for sure.

I'm going to wait a little before marking your response as 'correct' in hopes that others will put in their 2 cents as well. I imagine its pretty slow around here for the holidays.