My custom widget doesn't turn a select into a dijit, what did I miss?

Jump to solution
11-19-2014 04:11 PM
MichaelJenkins
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to make my first custom widget for the WAB 3 (developer's edition).  I started with the CustomWidgetTemplate, moved it to the appropriate folder and I can now see it in my app.  It is a simple in panel widget with some text.   So far so good.  Next I want to add a Select dijit and populate it with a list of city names.  I examined the DRAW widget because it uses some select dijits.  I followed the HTMl and JavaScript patterns from the DRAW widget to add my Select dijit, but when I run the widget in the app, it shows as a regular HTML select and I can't treat it like a dijit.  I think I have all the necessary Dojo requires.  What am I missing?

My widget's HTML

<div data-dojo-attach-point="selectCity" style="display:block;height:30px;margin-bottom:7px;">

<div style="float:left;height:30px;;line-height:30px;padding-left:17px;">Select City</div>

<select data-dojo-attach-point="citySelect" data-dojo-type="dijit/form/Select" style="float:right;width:50%;height:30px;"></select>

</div>

My JavaScript.  In this code, I get an error if I uncomment the 'citySelect.addOption' line because it says this.citySelect is undefined.   If I access this.citySelect from the console, it shows as an HTML select, not a dijit.

widgetcode.png

GISP
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

Is _displayCity being called before startup is executed? The map will not be a map object until startup has completed.

0 Kudos
MichaelJenkins

Nope,  _displayCity is not called until the user has selected from the dropdown list, which is not only well after startup, it is called right after _zoomToCity which access the map properly.

In my console screenshot above you can see the order.  Whenever it shows [object object] then it is the map object.  when it hits _displayCity it changes to a DIV called map.

GISP
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

The only thing that I can think of then is that _displayCity has a different scope and thus the keyword this has a different meaning. Are you using lang.hitch in your code that calls _displayCity function?

MichaelJenkins

OK, that was it.  I was calling that method directly as the callback function of query.execute, but I understand now why that would make this.map our of context to the called function.  Using lang.hitch instead fixed it.

I found a pretty good page that describes JavaScript variable scope and the times to use lang.hitch here:

Making Functions with hitch and partial - The Dojo Toolkit

GISP
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

The reason is because query execute is async and its return method has a different scope of this then the rest of the code.

0 Kudos