My custom widget doesn't turn a select into a dijit, what did I miss?

Jump to solution
11-19-2014 04:11 PM
MichaelJenkins
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to make my first custom widget for the WAB 3 (developer's edition).  I started with the CustomWidgetTemplate, moved it to the appropriate folder and I can now see it in my app.  It is a simple in panel widget with some text.   So far so good.  Next I want to add a Select dijit and populate it with a list of city names.  I examined the DRAW widget because it uses some select dijits.  I followed the HTMl and JavaScript patterns from the DRAW widget to add my Select dijit, but when I run the widget in the app, it shows as a regular HTML select and I can't treat it like a dijit.  I think I have all the necessary Dojo requires.  What am I missing?

My widget's HTML

<div data-dojo-attach-point="selectCity" style="display:block;height:30px;margin-bottom:7px;">

<div style="float:left;height:30px;;line-height:30px;padding-left:17px;">Select City</div>

<select data-dojo-attach-point="citySelect" data-dojo-type="dijit/form/Select" style="float:right;width:50%;height:30px;"></select>

</div>

My JavaScript.  In this code, I get an error if I uncomment the 'citySelect.addOption' line because it says this.citySelect is undefined.   If I access this.citySelect from the console, it shows as an HTML select, not a dijit.

widgetcode.png

GISP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

The issue I see in your code is here:

return declare([BaseWidget], {

And it should be:

return declare([BaseWidget, _WidgetsInTemplateMixin], {

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

The issue I see in your code is here:

return declare([BaseWidget], {

And it should be:

return declare([BaseWidget, _WidgetsInTemplateMixin], {

0 Kudos
MichaelJenkins

That was it, thanks a lot!   For anyone else reading this, the CustomTemplateWidget provided with the WAB doesn't include that line, and it seems to me it probably should.

Robert, would you say that _WidgetsInTemplateMixin will always be needed in that return statement when building custom widgets?

GISP
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

Actually No. It will only be need if you are using dojo dijits in your custom widget.

0 Kudos
MichaelJenkins

I found that in in the WAB documentation, so kudos to Esri for putting that in there and thanks again Robert for helping me out.

Define the template—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Beta) | ArcGIS

GISP
0 Kudos
BladimirAlamilla
New Contributor

Eres un genio Robert, gracias me funciono.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

De nada.

0 Kudos
MichaelJenkins

I have a related follow-up question.  Do I need to do anything special or include something that I haven't in order to access the map object?

Similar to my OP, when I reference this.map I am getting the HTML element with id="map", not the esri map object.

GISP
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

Straight from the WAB widget development doc.

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS is a map-centric application. It provides a map property defined in the BaseWidget class to access the map. You can access the map property through this map. The widget’s map property is a type of esri.Map from ArcGIS JavaScript API, configured in the config.json file. You can access all map features provided by ArcGIS JavaScript API. Code the widget the same as writing a regular ArcGIS JavaScript application.

When a widget instantiates, the map passes into it. As a result, you can access a map property in the postCreate or startup methods.

MichaelJenkins

I know, it is strange.   I can get this.map to be the esri map object in all of my methods except the one that actually will use it.

I must have a syntax error or something.  I will keep digging until I find it.

codeMap.pngcodeMap2.png

GISP
0 Kudos