limitations of WAB developer edition

Jump to solution
03-08-2017 06:23 AM
SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone, I want to know if there are any kind of limitations while using the WAB developer edition versus using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript with the ArcGIS server and a programing language such as PHP and ArcSDE and Geodatabse, Any clarifications are favorable, as an example, Are they any functionnalities that can't be done because they already exist on ArcIS desktop Or anything is possible with the WAB (DE) ?
best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

> I already made a post about where my data will be hosted when using WAB (DE) and the answer was 'on AGOL'

Apologies, I misunderstood what you posted. Yes, you can use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition with your ArcGIS Online organization with your data hosted in ArcGIS Online.

I made this statement,

> You can use web services from your own ArcGIS Server site - which can be referenced as items in ArcGIS Online or directly referenced in a web map

because I thought you wanted to use data that was hosted on your own ArcGIS Server site. In this case, you would register the web services with ArcGIS Online, see this help topic:
Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

(look under the Add items from the web section)

But since you're storing your data in ArcGIS Online, this does not really apply.

> about my sentence 'adding items with properities to shapefiles', as an example, I have a layer of students (name, class, school,...) and I wanna add students using my app with their names, class and school ..

It is possible to add your student data (saved as a shapefile) to ArcGIS Online and you can create a hosted feature service. Then you can enabled web editing on it - Web AppBuilder has 2 edit widgets for you to use.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The main downside I see with WAB developer edition is the requirement to have a AppID associated with either ArcGIS Online or onsite Portal.  Beyond that, you can still use your own services and host locally. JavaScript doesn't need an AppID, but needs access to the JavaScriot API, which can be installed locally, although most use the default connection I believe.

there are many widgets built in to the builder (more added with each release), and many user and ESRI GitHub custom widgets to extend thus list, and you can also create your own if you are familiar with JavaScriot.  There are tutorials and tips available to help.  I have a series if blog, the resource list being the main one, but I have pulled out the widgets to a new blog /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2017/03/04/web-appbuilder-the-custom-widgets-list-332017?sr=search&searchId=b4d23...‌  which includes links to the rest.  But this will give you an idea if what you can do.

as for what you can not do, I may not be the best to answer that.

JamesMarok1
New Contributor III

Only issue I have come across is that the search functions within the WAB are not as robust as Javascript API or Silverlight. Basically even with ESearch the widget the for WAB(which has been improved since launch) The search fields are not intelligent enough to find elements or provide suggestions from the map services feeding a WAB. Long story short jquery is much more robust then what is offered in WAB currently. (I expect this will change but I am no coder so I've had no success someone else will probably get there long before me)

My only other complain is that the print functions are no where as nice as silverlight and its print preview ability, Since I am trying to convert an old Silverlight to WAB before support for Silverlight ends.

DerekLaw

Hi Sara,

My 2 cents: you can start with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition to create your web app, and if its functionality does not quite meet your needs, you can enable your own custom functionality by extending Web AppBuilder with development using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript. Why create a web app from scratch, when you can use Web AppBuilder as a good starting point?

Hope this helps,

SaraEL_MALKI

Okay thanks Derek but I'm wondering If using the arcGIS API for JavaScript with arcGIS for server with the geodatabse ( out of AGOL ) have any advantage virsus using the API in the WAB developer edition ? 

0 Kudos
SaraEL_MALKI

because in the approach of using AGOL with WAB developer edition and using arcGIS API for javaScript there is no arcGIS for server embedded since the geographic data is stored in the AGOL even if I'm hosting the app on a webserver and that is a great point so I'm not obligated to host the data on a geographic server and that is what I'd like to do BUT I'm afraid to miss some important functionnalities that can be done only if the arcgis server is used (my app should include editing data and adding items with properities to shapefiles ) !!!  

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sara,

Some of your statements are incorrect. You can use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition with ArcGIS Online, and your data does NOT have to be hosted in ArcGIS Online. You can use web services from your own ArcGIS Server site - which can be referenced as items in ArcGIS Online or directly referenced in a web map.

> I'm afraid to miss some important functionnalities that can be done only if the arcgis server is used (my app should include editing data ...

Web AppBuilder is built on the ArcGIS API for JavaScript, so there isn't a major difference in functionality. Both support web editing workflows and Web AppBuilder has 2 widgets to support web editing. I would expect that the ArcGIS API for JavaScript is a bit more flexible because you would create your own web app.

I suppose one major difference is Web AppBuilder works with web maps, which leverage web layers - which store some properties such as symbology and pop-ups. When using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript - you can create a web app that works directly with web services and won't have the properties found in a web layer.

> adding items with properities to shapefiles

I'm not clear on what you mean by this statement.

Hope this helps,

SaraEL_MALKI

Hi Derek,

I am a beginner when it comes to AGOL ( only one week) so excuse my basic questions, I already made a post about where my data will be hosted when using WAB (DE) and the answer was 'on AGOL' so I'm a LOT confused about this sentence:

You can use web services from your own ArcGIS Server site - which can be referenced as items in ArcGIS Online or directly referenced in a web map

I did not understand what you meant exactly,

about my sentence 'adding items with properities to shapefiles', as an example, I have a layer of students (name, class, school,...) and I wanna add students using my app with their names, class and school ..

best reagrds

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sara,

> I already made a post about where my data will be hosted when using WAB (DE) and the answer was 'on AGOL'

Apologies, I misunderstood what you posted. Yes, you can use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition with your ArcGIS Online organization with your data hosted in ArcGIS Online.

I made this statement,

> You can use web services from your own ArcGIS Server site - which can be referenced as items in ArcGIS Online or directly referenced in a web map

because I thought you wanted to use data that was hosted on your own ArcGIS Server site. In this case, you would register the web services with ArcGIS Online, see this help topic:
Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

(look under the Add items from the web section)

But since you're storing your data in ArcGIS Online, this does not really apply.

> about my sentence 'adding items with properities to shapefiles', as an example, I have a layer of students (name, class, school,...) and I wanna add students using my app with their names, class and school ..

It is possible to add your student data (saved as a shapefile) to ArcGIS Online and you can create a hosted feature service. Then you can enabled web editing on it - Web AppBuilder has 2 edit widgets for you to use.

Hope this helps,

SaraEL_MALKI

Okay thanks a lot Derek for your patience,

one LAST question to see If I got it correctly " It does not matter if I host my data on an ArcGIS server or on AGOL, It Only depends on where my layers are added so there is no advantages in treating the data hosted on arcgis server virsus the data hosted on AGOL"

Is my sentence correct ?

Best reagards

0 Kudos