How to create a widget to perform a spatial analysis

02-26-2016 08:17 AM
SushilPradhan
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am looking for some tutorial to create a customized widget to perform a spatial process. I have looked at some videos but all of them focuses only on changing labels like "This is demo" or "This is a Live Demo", etc. But I would like to know more about how to add a code within the widget that does the real spatial processes as required. If anyone has or refer to a simple example, that would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

Sushil

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sushil,

There is not a demo on how to create an analysis widget, just what you have seen for creating a generic widget and once you know how to do that then you pick an OTB widget or a custom widget and look at how that widget is coded to learn the more advanced development and standard coding practices.

0 Kudos
SushilPradhan
New Contributor II

Robert,

Thanks for your response. It would have been more useful and beneficial to have a tutorial and demo for a advanced development processes as well.

I have a model builder which performs several steps of spatial processes. If export the model into Javascript code and use it within Widget.JS of a new widget, will that work? Thanks for your help.

Sushil

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

sushil,

Have you tried just publishing the model as a GP Service and using the OTB Geoprocessing widget?

SushilPradhan
New Contributor II

Rob,

Publishing as a GP and using as a GP widget is not a problem, but my main idea is to avoid the use of ArcGIS Server. Is it possible without ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The types of analysis you can do without ArcGIS for Server will be either very reduced or pretty complex to implement. Any specific reason for not wanting to use ArcGIS for Server? What type of analysis are you trying to implement? Anything that could be done by using the Analysis widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers ?