How Do I : Update Widget Already In WAB App?

Jump to solution
05-26-2016 07:08 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Technically, this is in relation to Robert Scheitlin, GISP​ and his eSearch widget. But I assume it would work for any.

Here is my scenario.

1) I have a working and deployed WAB App.

2) App uses Widget 123

3) Widget 123 gets an Update from version X.1 to X.2

4) App needs some functionality of X.2 version

Now up till now, I add the new version to my WAB and then recreate the entire WAB App. Then the new version goes directly in. Problem solved.

As the complexity of my WAB Apps are growing this is becoming a tedious process and I am hoping to update my procedures here. So I am asking. What is the preferred way to update a WAB App with a new version of Widget 123 once an update comes out?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brain,

If the new features in the widget do not require any configuration then technically you can just overwrite the widget in the widgets folder of the deployed app. But for example the new eSearch has the CSV export capability if you where to use the above mentioned method then you would still not see this new capability as this feature has to be turned on for the desired layers in the config_Enhanced Search.json (i.e. "export2Csv": true,).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brain,

If the new features in the widget do not require any configuration then technically you can just overwrite the widget in the widgets folder of the deployed app. But for example the new eSearch has the CSV export capability if you where to use the above mentioned method then you would still not see this new capability as this feature has to be turned on for the desired layers in the config_Enhanced Search.json (i.e. "export2Csv": true,).

WilliamBailey
New Contributor II

I downloaded eSearch latest: V 2.0.1.4 and copied over existing eSearch folder in client\stemapp\widgets.

Stopped and restarted node.js, but I still see V 2.0.1.3 in actual WAB builder (not deployed version).

What step am I missing?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cob,

You have to update the particular apps widgets folder as well:

[install dir]\server\apps\[app#]\widgets\eSearch

WilliamBailey
New Contributor II

That did it, thanks

I will make note of that step.

0 Kudos
SteveHenningsgard
New Contributor II

As another option, Esri posted a Yeoman workflow on their GitHub that greatly simplifies WAB widget development:

GitHub - Esri/generator-esri-appbuilder-js: Yeoman generator to help customize Esri's WebAppBuilder