Help/Advice on "Where Am I?" widget

Jump to solution
02-23-2015 06:33 PM
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm in the middle of a project to replace a legacy third-party GIS program with an application built in Web App Builder.  One of the most beloved tools in the legacy program is something called the "Where Am I?" tool.  The user clicks the button and then clicks in the map and is returned a table of information about where they clicked.  Things like township, range, school district, electric company, etc.  I'd like some help/advice on how best to accomplish this in the WAB environment.  The simplest solution (zero coding) just adds the "Where Am I" service into the map layers.  My concern is training my user community to remember to click through the records to get to the "Where Am I" portion.  Are there any other thoughts?  Like an identify-style widget that only looks at the Where Am I service.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

My Identify widget is now available:

Identify Widget Version 1.1

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Brandon,

I've noticed chatter today that using a GP service, vs a widget, isn't necessarily a bad way to go.  I know I'm going to rethink some of mine, and if you are saying the "Where Am I" is already a service, seems you are half way there.

You may want to check out Larry Stout‌  sample with some of the nice pop-up customization he's done.  He doesn't have widget downloads available yet, but I think he plans to.  I have those links in Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List   I'm trying to keep this updated with new widgets that users publish on geonet and github....if/when I know about them.    just trying to keep track of them all myself.

For example, zooming in to parcels, you get a nicer tabbed pop-up.

you still have the (1 of 3) to contend with, but I wonder if there is a way to customize the pop-up even more so it's clearer that there are more records?  I also think that Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌ has an Identify widget on his to do list.

BrandonKeinath1

Thanks Rebecca,

I've used your living document many times as a reference.  Thanks for putting it together and for your thoughts on my question.  I like the idea of making a geoprocessing widget that would display a pop-up, like the one you show, on a mouse-click.  It would be a very similar experience to what the users are getting now.  I'm just not familiar with how I would show the pop-up.  I do already have "Where Am I" as it's own service thinking that there might already be an identify widget that I could set to only look for the service.

I'm probably missing it in your reply but where can I find info on customizing my pop-ups to look like the one you show?  I really like how you can see behind the pop-up window.

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I can't take any credit for the pop-up or anything else on that live preview page.  That is a Larry.  I've just been reading thru his config documentation and checking the various things out on the demo right now.  I have tried any on my own site yet.  I'm thinking the document has info for most of the things he has done, but I'm hoping he will eventually post this info himself.  For now, I have a link on the resource page to a zip on his fto site.

LarryStout

Rebecca,

If you were inside my firewall, you would also have access to our Assessor's photos:

AssessorPhoto.PNG

This illustrates some of the security I have built in.  There are also several layers available only if you are inside the firewall.

Larry

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

My Identify Widget is scheduled to be released Tomorrow 2/24/2015

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

My Identify widget is now available:

Identify Widget Version 1.1

BrandonKeinath1

Thanks Robert!

I'll take a look and let you know if I have any questions.  Very convenient timing!

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos