Fields aliases does not showing in WAB for Dev 2.7 Infographics widgets

02-01-2018 11:24 AM
IonutAlixandroae4
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a question regarding the out-of-the-box functionality of WAB for Dev 2.7 widgets: 

Does the widgets show the fields used by their alias? 

I`m asking this because I have a WAB for Dev app with Dashboard Theme and using Infographic widgets (Column and Bar charts for example), and the chart`s labels are not using the fields alias but rather the fields name. The problem is that the names are not properly "named" because there are special characters like underscore in the name and so on...

If this is the default behaviour and there is not an upcoming update to fix this, it can be done by code right? (I haven`t tried it yet but I believe it can be)

Thanks,

Ionut

7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ionut,

I Don't use the Chart widget at all but I just tested the Query widget and it does use the fields alias.

IonutAlixandroae4
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Actually I just did a bad example, but the point of my question is mainly for Infographic widgets (the charts)

Thanks,

Ionut

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ionut,

You will need to make an enhancement request then.

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae4
Occasional Contributor

I made an update to the title and the body

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Actually I meant call esri tech support and submit a enhancement request for the Infographic widgets to use field aliases.

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae4
Occasional Contributor

Oh! My bad! 

Well, I might just do that and also leave this here open

Thanks Robert!

0 Kudos
BeniaminStoica-Fuchs
New Contributor II

For those having the same issue with WAB, here is a working solution:

1. Create a custom Python script to iterate through your table and create field aliases for each field; you can use arcpy.AlterField_management for this purpose (make sure you skip required fields, such as OBJECTID, Shape, Shape_length, Shape_area etc.).

2. Publish your data as a service.

3. Create a webmap from your published service and enable popups (they will be automatically generated based on your field aliases).

4. Launch WAB Developer with the new webmap and you should have proper labels for your infographics (based on field aliases and not field names).

0 Kudos