Select to view content in your preferred language

Confusion...

01-13-2017 10:43 AM
GregRieck
Frequent Contributor

WAB Developer Editon 2.2 Jewelry Box Theme.

Hello all,

I'm so confused. I'm getting conflicting messages from ESRI on WAB development/deployment. I have always been told that my custom widget changes should be made in the server\apps directory. Then when you are ready to publish you open WAB and download the app and post to IIS? Now, I'm being told that you should be working in the downloaded app directory and then post those changes directly to IIS.

What is the "correct" way to make custom code changes on widgets created through WAB. Working within a downloaded copy doesn't allow you to work in localhost. You have to make changes then publish to IIS to test. I have been working in localhost where I can debug my changes and not impact a live site. PLEASE HELP, what is the corret way? How does everyone else do this. And, my live site is throwing a "credential is null" error so I'm afraid there is some kind of licensing issue that is preventing my custom changes from being seen. Has anyone seen this error?

Thank You,

Greg

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GregRieck
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

Re-downloading isn't working. It's not catching even a single change, done as a test. I'll use your approach as I really don't see a choice. Also, see edited comments above.

Greg

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Greg,

Try this. go to the [install dir]\server\apps\zips and delete all zip files in that folder. Then re-download the app and deploy to the web server. I think your WAB is thinking it does not see any changes and it has the app already downloaded and zipped so it not redoing the download.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If Roberts suggestions to delete the .zip doesn't work, Something else to try...make a copy (new name) in WAB that has all the changes.  Download/deploy to IIS and test that the new page works with all you changes.  If it does, replace the entire IIS web page.  as Robert mentioned, most likely it is a cached item, or something maybe got out of since or is still in the IIS folders although maybe you moved/deleted/revised.  Testing with a new name should be a clean IIS web site, so that should eliminate any residual edits by trying to overwrite a folder in IIS. 

...also, if you haven't already done so.....stop/restart you IIS.    That helps  many times if things are weird on the webpage side.