Utility Network Analyst: Custom valve isolation

10-27-2011 08:59 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Utility Network Analyst: Custom valve isolation

please, see the attache image that shows my question

i wanted to know whether the ArcGIS 10 includes the very urgent command "Custom valve isolation" as built in tool.

This command SELECT the nearest valve that to be closed in case any ruptures occurs at any point in the pipe net work, and thus this valve must be closed to prevent the follow of water at that point!

do we still to add this command in the VBA?

thank you in advance,

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
31 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,
   That is a problem with the sample data.  A wNetworkStructure feature in the sample data is not properly connected.  The new release of the data and tools(release just now) has this fixed.  You can download the new version with the updated data or find a structure in your dataset and connect it to your network.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=14bdfb26bc2f4e0388a633fbd0ccca02

Thank you Michale for your prompt answers.

I�??m still stuck with three issues:

1. The tool �??Valve isolation trace�?� selects all the valves, meter, fittings connected to the point of rupture instead of selecting ONLY the nearest valve that will stop of water flow when closed!

How to use this tool to select only the nearest valve? the valve needed to be closed is assumed to be the valve that stops the water coming from the source (reservoir) but not all the valves, meters, fittings connected to the point of rupture (see screenshots please).

2. I�??ve uninstalled the �??Infrastructure Reporting Toolbar�?� and the �??Infrastructure Editing Toolbar�?� but they remain in the ArcMap after being uninstalled from windows.
Then how to uninstall them completely

3. At which stage we modify the code of the icon �??Valve isolation trace�?� to be compatible with our geometric geodatabase?
How and when we modify the code of the icon �??Valve isolation trace�?�? Do we use the class feature �??Name�?� or the �??Alias�?� in the modifications?

4. Flow direction: clicking the flow direction doesn�??t indicate the flow water in the system! It gives �??solid circles�?� which means that the direction is not defined.

Appreciated.

Regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MikeMillerGIS

1: Because water is a pressurized system, this tool finds all valves that lead to a water source and returns them.  Just closing one valve is not going to stop flow to the break location.  The tools does not look at flow, just if a valve is feed water by a source.  If you do not want to trace to a source, set the source as non operable.

2:  The tools are AddIns in ArcMap, you remove them using the Add In Manager, not windows. 

3:  You do not have to modify the code for the tools to work on your data.  You just need to update the config file.  The last tool on the infrastructure reporting toolbar will open the config file for you.

4:  To set flow on your water datasets, you need to define the source of flow, but even this will give you indeterminate flow(circles).  You need to use the Set Flow based on Digitized direction on the Infrastructure editing toolbar.  But as I explained early, this will not accurately show flow because of being pressurized.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
1: Because water is a pressurized system, this tool finds all valves that lead to a water source and returns them.  Just closing one valve is not going to stop flow to the break location.  The tools does look at flow, just if a valve is feed water by a source.  If you do not want to trace to a source, set the source as non operable.

2:  The tools are AddIns in ArcMap, you remove them using the Add In Manager, not windows. 

3:  You do not have to modify the code for the tools to work on your data.  You just need to update the config file.  The last tool on the infrastructure reporting toolbar will open the config file for you.

4:  To set flow on your water datasets, you need to define the source of flow, but even this will give you indeterminate flow(circles).  You need to use the Set Flow based on Digitized direction on the Infrastructure editing toolbar.  But as I explained early, this will not accurately show flow because of being pressurized.

This is very useful Michael. Thank you.

The issue now is to employ the tools of �??Infrastructure Reporting Toolbar�?� and the �??Infrastructure Editing Toolbar�?� in my own data.

My data includes 6 layers (screenshot is attached):
I. Main;
II. Lateral;
III. Fittings;
IV. Meters;
V. Valves;
VI. Reservoir (water source).

Then:

1. How can I update the configuration file to fit my own data? What should I change in the Loaded.config file according the given the names of layers above?(screenshots are also attached)

Do I need to replace the
�??Water Network Structures|Water Pumps�?� by the �??Reservoir�?� ?
and
�??Water System Valves|Water Control Valves�?� by the �??Valves�?�

What about:
     <add key="TraceIsolation_Operable_Field_Valves" value="Operable" />
    <add key="TraceIsolation_Operable_Field_Sources" value="Operable" />
    <add key="TraceIsolation_Operable_Values" value="0|1" />
    <add key="TraceIsolation_Valve_AddSQL" value="" />

What should I change in the above codes to fit my own data?

2. �??The tools does look at flow, just if a valve is feed water by a source. If you do not want to trace to a source, set the source as non operable�?�

a) It is a fact that the water is a pressurized system, but just in case, I need to select ONLY the valve from which the water is coming from the source, then how can I achieve this using the tools?

b) How can i assign that the valve is feed water by source?

c) How can I set the source as non operable?

3. Are the tools of �??Infrastructure Reporting Toolbar�?� and the �??Infrastructure Editing Toolbar�?� assumed to replace completely the tools of �??Utility Network Analyst�?�?

Appreciated

Best regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

1:  Yes, make those changes.  The Operable fields is a Yes No field telling the tool to use that asset or skip over it, say a valve is stuck open, you set it Operable = False or No, and it will be skipped.  Create an Operable field that is a short int and apply the Yes/No Domain and set them all to Yes.

2:  Sorry, had a typo, the tool does NOT look at flow.  From each valve, it does a trace to find connected water sources. 

3:  No, just enhance and make things easier.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
1:  Yes, make those changes.  The Operable fields is a Yes No field telling the tool to use that asset or skip over it, say a valve is stuck open, you set it Operable = False or No, and it will be skipped.  Create an Operable field that is a short int and apply the Yes/No Domain and set them all to Yes.

2:  Sorry, had a typo, the tool does NOT look at flow.  From each valve, it does a trace to find connected water sources. 

3:  No, just enhance and make things easier.

Sorry bothering you with my endless questions. Thanks Michael.

I modified the code and accomplished what I have been looking for!

BUT I couldn�??t exactly understand the behavior of the �??Valve isolation trace�?� tool.

1. In the attached screenshots, I selected a rupture point, and then clicked the �??Valve isolation trace�?� tool, the result doesn�??t include one of the most important valves that should be selected (indicated in the screenshots!)

How is this result justified?

I�??ve sent a sample of my data to your e-mail in case you have time to have a look.

2. Although some explanation is provided about the code, but still I don�??t deeply understand the effect of the two codes below on the result:

<add key="TraceIsolation_Source_FeatureLayer" value="Reservoir" />
    <add key="TraceIsolation_Valve_FeatureLayer" value="Valves|Fittings" />

3. And also the effect of the following codes:

Appreciated,

Regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

1.  Make sure that valve is connected to the geometric network.  Start editing, select it and move it, does the network move with it.  Also is the valve operable?

2:  Remove fittings
<add key="TraceIsolation_Valve_FeatureLayer" value="Valves" />

3:  Add a field to your valve layer and your source layer called Operable.  Apply the dmBooleanYesNo No(0)/Yes(1)  domain to those fields and calculate all your sources and valves as operable.

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
1.  Make sure that valve is connected to the geometric network.  Start editing, select it and move it, does the network move with it.  Also is the valve operable?

2:  Remove fittings

3:  Add a field to your valve layer and your source layer called Operable.  Apply the dmBooleanYesNo No(0)/Yes(1)  domain to those fields and calculate all your sources and valves as operable.

Hi Michael,

1) I checked the valve: it is connected

Then what might be the reason being not selected in the trace?

2) what is the type of the Field "Operable"?

3) after I've added the field "Operable" to the Valves and Reservoir layers, i got a new message saying that the "Reservoir" can't be found!

4) the final code is (is this correct now?):

-------------------------------------
<add key="TraceIsolation_Source_FeatureLayer" value="Reservoir" />
    <!-- The layer used to stop the trace. Used by the Iso Trace and the Summary Iso trace and the Toggle operable staus-->
    <!-- The field in the valve layer to determine the if the valve is operable 0/false or 1/true are valid values.
    If a valve is non operable it is skipped by the trace used by the Iso Trace and the Summary Iso trace and the toggle valve status tool
    -->
    <!-- you need to use character codes for reserved xml characters, less then, greater then, etc-->

<!-- Option to clear existing Flags before running the Isolation trace-->
    <add key="TraceIsolation_ClearFlagsOnClick" value="true" />
--------------------------------------------------
the screenshots and the data are attached.

thank you

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issues is a data issue.  If you scroll to the right, you will see that the water main is Capped.  This means no water is entering the main, means no pressure, means no reason to turn the valve since no pressure is coming is coming from that side.  The tools checks each valve and makes sure it is feed by a source(it will not trace through other valves returned by the trace).
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
The issues is a data issue.  If you scroll to the right, you will see that the water main is Capped.  This means no water is entering the main, means no pressure, means no reason to turn the valve since no pressure is coming is coming from that side.  The tools checks each valve and makes sure it is feed by a source(it will not trace through other valves returned by the trace).

Many thanks Michael for your colossal effort.

Please, have a look on the screenshot which shows how the �??Valve isolation trace�?� tool can select all the sources of water in the system by modifying the code as follows:

-------------------------------
<add key="TraceIsolation_Source_FeatureLayer" value="Reservoir|Valves|Meters" />
    <!-- The layer used to stop the trace. Used by the Iso Trace and the Summary Iso trace and the Toggle operable staus-->

--------------------------------

What's surprising that this modification does exactly what I've been looking for except one thing: selecting the fittings!!!

How can i modify the code further so that the fittings are not selected?

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the TOC turn off the selection for the fittings.
0 Kudos