Add laterals at connections command creates vertex at intersecting line

02-16-2017 06:40 AM
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

When using the 'Add Lateral at Connection' tool in the the Water Utility Editing toolbar it adds a vertex at the intersection of the feature line. How do I stop it from doing this? I am connecting clean-out points to the  gravity sewer main. The gravity main need to be one continuous line feature. (See screen shot).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

A vertex does not split the main, it is still one continuous line. The vertices is required as this is a junction in the geometric network. You cannot remove it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Kudos
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

Michael,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes you are correct, the line is still continuous but now its a line. The sewer line need to be a single line segment with junctions only at the manholes. Notice what happens when manhole M3-MH-24100 is moved. Instead of the gravity main from M3-MH-24200 connecting directly to M3-MH-24100 it bends at the vertex (junction) at the lateral. (See screen shots)

I guess what I should have asked is is there away to have the added laterals to connect to the sewer main without a junction being created at the intersection of the lateral and the gravity sewer. I've seen it done before but do not know how to it was done. The Sewer main and the laterals are both Complex Edges in the SewerStormwater_Net. 

Thanks,

M. Marcus

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

You will need to not use the geometric network as far as I know to prevent a vertex being created.

0 Kudos
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

Michael,

I appreciate your following up with me on this issue. When I figure out the solution I will forward it to you.

Thanks,

M Marcus

0 Kudos
GregHorch
New Contributor III

M. Marcus - One option is to enable "Stretch geometry proportionately when moving a vertex" in the editing options and then move the edge's endpoint instead of the junction.  It's not a perfect solution since the "proportionality" is applied only to the vertices of the selected edge (at 10.3.1).  

Personally, I'm more likely to move the junction and then using the reshape feature tool to fixed kinked lines.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

Greg,

Thanks for your reply.