Select to view content in your preferred language

Is Collector Replacing ArcPad?

01-18-2017 11:34 AM
gabrielriley
New Contributor III

Hello GIS People,

I have a quick question.

I'm a tech and I'm trying to make sure my company goes toward Collector App for the future of collecting GPS data, pictures, updating features, etc....

My Boss is totally on board with Collector app and believes in, but my coordinator is very set in ways and is familiar with ArcPad (We do have 1 license of Arcpad, and 2 trimble units) . I'm afraid she is going to recommend we stay in Arcpad some of our Depts. here.

I know that Arcpad is not the future way to go but I want to make sure the community thinks that way too. 

Could you please recommend ways to communicate that with my boss and still gently explain that to our coordinator.

thanks guys!

2 Replies
MicahBabinski
Regular Contributor

Hi Gabriel,

I am at a similar spot in my organization. My approach would be to explain the Esri product lifecycle concept, and share the ArcPad Product Lifecycle document with your colleagues.

The phases of this lifecycle to watch out for are:

• Extended: Limited patching, no new environment (operating system, database, etc) certifications
  • Mature: No patches or hot fixes, no new environment certifications - This is where Esri recommends upgrading to "General Availability" products
  • Retired: No patches, hot fixes, new environment certifications, phone or web technical support. Online support resources will be very limited and will not receive updates.

The latest version of ArcPad will enter the Extended Support Phase in July of this year.

I'd also read up on some of the success stories which you can watch videos and read about at Collector for ArcGIS. It  will help to have a solid understanding of Collector, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online before going in. That way you can explain some of these other benefits:

• Data can be updated from Collector with no need to plug a device into a computer
  • Users and permissions can be managed using groups in ArcGIS Online
  • Updates can be viewed from a browser or desktop client in real-time
  • Offline editing is still fully supported
  • Field data collectors can use a range of Android, Windows, and iOS devices (no purpose-built hardware)

Good luck!

Micah

GeorgeHouck
New Contributor III

I too had to address this issue. Our budgets are made in October and get finalized in June.

With the projected life cycle left on ArcPad we had to budget for ArcPad's replacement a month ago to get the money in June of 2018 so we can run parallel, and not loose functionality while we get used to the new software we are replacing it with, "Terra Sync." 

0 Kudos