Has anyone used stream order spatial analyst tool for sewer network?

09-03-2019 08:00 AM
EricSwett
New Contributor

I am working on a sewer analysis project for school/work and I am trying to order the sewer network using the stream order networking tool but I am getting very confusing results. I can create a raster grid for the sewer network; however, I cannot create an accurate flow direction raster. The values for flow direction do not make sense to me. I have some screenshots below that show the results.

If anyone has any experience with these tools and can provide some feedback it would be greatly appreciated. 

Gravity Sewer Raster

Flow Direction

Flow Direction Zoomed in

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

Not sure exactly what your project is, but the hydrology tools like Stream Order and Flow Direction are used to analyze surface flow across a continuous surface, like a DEM.  So those tools are typically used for surface water, not for pipes.

The first bullet point under Usage sounds like the results you are experiencing if you turned your pipes into a raster - Stream Order—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Most organizations represent their sewer system using vector data (typically a network) and use that vector data to perform analysis.

0 Kudos
EricSwett
New Contributor

Howard,

Thank you for your reply. I currently have a vector sewer network, but I am trying to identify the pipes in the system as first, second, third-order pipes. I have data from our hydraulic sewer model, which shows flow data, but I want to be able also to see which pipe segments have "upstream branches" and how many branches are upstream. 

I haven't been able to find a vector stream ordering tool so I was trying to see if I could convert the vectors into rasters and use the tools, but no luck. 

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

You might be able to use the Summary Flow Accumulation tool on the Water Utility Network Reporting toolbar to get at the answer.  Requires your data to be in a geometric network.  You could use it sum the number of upstream manholes for each pipe and use that a proxy or if you have customer connections you could assign a weight to each connection and accumulate that for each upstream pipe. Water Utility Network Reporting toolbar - Water Utility Network Editing and Analysis | ArcGIS Soluti... 

0 Kudos