Attribute Assistant - Timestamp question

Jump to solution
02-06-2017 09:51 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

I am trying to get my timestamp in a certain format: YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.s but I am not able to do it.

As an example it needs to look like this: 2017-02-20T23:16:45.7

Is this even possible? If so, what would be the expression I need?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hold on, why are you using this in expression? Just use the TIMESTAMP value method and yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss as the value info

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Tim-  after spending a little time with google I notice that t or T is often used to designate PM, but in a 24 hour clock, do you need to specify that?  (2017-02-20T23:16:45.7)  Tenths of a second seems pretty extreme;  I haven't found a format for that yet.....

timw1984

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I know it is crazy, I am just looking through the upcoming NENA standards

This is what I am talking about:

1403 5.37 Date Updated 1404 Description: The UTC date and time that the record was created or last modified. This 1405 value SHOULD be populated upon modifications to attributes, geometry, or both. 1406 Domain: Restricted to ISO 8601 compliant values in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). 1407 Values are not allowed to be in the future. 1408 Example: 2010-12-19T20:01:29-05 (representing a record updated on December 19, 2010 1409 at 8:01 and 29 seconds PM US Eastern Standard Time)

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I often wonder about the practicality of NENA standards; I don't know what percentage I'm NENA compliant, but somehow we get the right truck or car to the right address in the shortest amount of time... 

Looking at that document, I don't see tenths of a second.  Currently I provide a date of when a record was last modified. ( I expect the  NENA black Suburban to pull up any minute now and take me away.)  Instead of AA, you could try using the Editor Tracker and specify UTC...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I pulled the decimal from their Date Field description:

D – Date and Time fields are as defined by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 8601 standard and are a NENA requirement. Date and time use ISO 8601 compliant  formats which are in the format of YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sTZD and conform to a  TimeStamp as defined in NENA-STA-010 [1] , which in turn conforms to W3C dateTime  format. Example: 2014-02-20T23:16:45.7-05:00 744 2014 = the Year 02 = the Month 20 = the Day NENA Standard for NG9-1-1 GIS Data Model NENA-STA-006.1-201X, Month Day, Year [MM/DD/YYYY] Page 29 of 86  23 = the Hour  16 = the Minute  45.7 = the Seconds and decimal fraction of seconds  –05:00= the Offset from UTC  Note: The Offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the optional separator to  indicate the time zone designation, which in this example is -5:00 to indicate the local Eastern Standard Time (EST) time difference from UTC.

I'll have to check out editor tracker!

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

We are using DateTime.Now.ToString<http://DateTime.Now.ToString>(format string) to set the date time. You just need to find the correct format string to specify in the value info. Make sure the field is a string you are storing the value in.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey mmiller-esristaff

thanks for the reply! So I would have to create the Field, in which I want the timestamp to go as a string field. Then I would use the Expression method for that field to fill in the timestamp?

Could you post a basic example of the DateTime.Now.ToString I would have to use? From there I can probably figure it out myself.

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Joe, I tried that earlier but it didn't work. Maybe I was using it wrong? I even tried that in the field calculator and it didn't work. Thanks for posting though!

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

It will not work in the field calculator.  Can you post what the aa debug/log file is reporting?

0 Kudos