Using Burn Stream tool to add ditches into a dem

10-25-2023 08:00 PM
Labels (1)
AliceStubbs
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to use the burn stream tool to essentially create ditches in a DEM. If so, is it possible to give the ditches unique slopes? I have a vector file of the areas that need to be burnt in and elevations of the slope as a point file. If someone could let me know if this is even possible, or how to do it I would be infinitely grateful.

Cheers,

Alice

3 Replies
AliceStubbs
New Contributor II

Edit** I am a complete newbie to this process, so I apologize if this does not make sense.

0 Kudos
DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

Alice,

Which version of our desktop software are you using?  With Pro 3.0 and up there are new alternatives to terrain processing.  That will help me in correctly directing you to the right tools (workflows).

It would also help if you can explain what your ultimate goal is in this process (why are you burning in the ditches).  What is the end result you are trying to get to?  Thanks.

Dean

0 Kudos
AliceStubbs
New Contributor II

Hi Dean,

I am using Pro 3.1. I am working on an archaeological site that has earthworks (a causewayed enclosure, which is essentially a connected group of ditches and banks). I am attempting to calculate the volume of the earth moved in order to create it. Given the size and age of the site, it is impossible to excavate the entire area, but I have a vector of the site created from aerial photography, and I have the slope of a part of two of the ditches. I also have a DTM of the area as of now, which does not include the banks. I was hoping to extrapolate  the point data to the other unexcavated ditches, add them to the DTM, and then use the fill sink tool to to find the volume of these spaces. I apologize for the late answer, but let me know if you need any more info!

Cheers,

Alice

0 Kudos