upstream watershed acres from point

08-14-2017 01:17 PM
CrystalSchiffbauer-Bowles1
New Contributor III

Hello. I need to calculate acreage of upstream watershed boundaries from points of intersection between a proposed alignment and surface waters. I have never used the ArcHydro tools and was pointed to the from the USGS StreamStats site and was wondering the best method for getting this information. I appreciate any help - just a point in the right direction to get me started. I am using ArcGIS 10.4 Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can successfully do a delineation off the StreamStats site, I don't see a need to get elevation data and do the whole ArcHydro analysis. Perhaps you could download the shapefile and use the Add Geometry Attributes tool to add an area field to the polygon feature class.  If you want to know the difference between two different delineations, try doing the two delineations and run the Intersect tool and add geometry attributes to the results.  

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

We can't get the information we need from USGS StreamStats, or I would have used it. We need ditches as well and the only waterway included in the StreamStats tool is a major canal, non other features. The client has requested acres of watershed from the points of intersection between the waterway and associated line work.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

Crystal,

If you can't use StreamStats, then you either can delineate the watersheds by hand (quick and easy if you just have a few) using topo maps or heads-up digitizing in ArcMap or with another tool. I assume you're going the ArcMap route and want to automate (not digitize) the watersheds. Spatial Analyst has tools you can use and Arc Hydro uses the SA license to perform all of what you need.

The process for making a hydrologically correct DEM from which the watersheds are then delineated isn't hard, but it takes time to understand the concepts.

I "authored" and respond to questions on thread called ArcHydro Problem Solvers. Most of what I know (and ways around problems I encountered) can be found there.  It's not a "course" on the Arc Hydro, but it is a start.

Mark

MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

Another helpful tool set can be found using HEC-GeoHMS. This is a free ArcMap tool that has the basics of the Arc Hydro tool.

The geoprocessing tools for Arc Hydro are in this tool but they are somewhat simplified. That is, you could use the GeoHMS tools just like the Arc Hydro tools. GeoHMS was created by ESRI for the US Army Corps of Engineers Hydraulic Engineering Center (HEC). It has additional tools to build HEC-HMS models, something I suppose you don't need. When you install HEC-GeoHMS it will also install the compatible Arc Hydro tools.

New Contributor III

Thank you! I'll definitely look into these... and ask questions if I have any

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hello everyone. Well, it turns out the the StreamStats ended up working which saved me TONS of time. I think I must've been trying to use the application as they were finalizing v4 development because the last day I tried using it everything came together.

I appreciate everyone's help and input. Thanks!

0 Kudos