How would I classify polygons based on whether lines are moving into and/or out of them?

Jump to solution
01-31-2016 04:31 PM
JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

I have a large amount of polygons representing ponds. I have a stream network shapefile with to and from nodes. I want to know for each pond whether a stream is contributing to it and whether a stream is flowing out of it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

You could use the Feature Vertices to Points tool to create start and end points for your stream lines - do this as 2 feature classes using the 'START' and 'END' options for the Point Type parameter. Then use Spatial Join to join your pond Ids to the start and end point layers. Then use table joins to link this back to your stream data.

You will need to be aware of connectors that may be in the stream network as they will most likely be included as contributing and flowing from a pond - exclude them before creating your end points if possible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the streams only start or end in the points and don't cross them you could use Feature Vertices To Points—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop for STARTS and ENDS and use a spatial join to see if a point is inside (or near, depending the precision of your data) a pond. Use the ORIG_FID field to join the result back to the streams.

0 Kudos
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

You could use the Feature Vertices to Points tool to create start and end points for your stream lines - do this as 2 feature classes using the 'START' and 'END' options for the Point Type parameter. Then use Spatial Join to join your pond Ids to the start and end point layers. Then use table joins to link this back to your stream data.

You will need to be aware of connectors that may be in the stream network as they will most likely be included as contributing and flowing from a pond - exclude them before creating your end points if possible.

0 Kudos