Error in DEM Reconditioning in Arc hydro 10

Jump to solution
10-04-2012 11:53 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: souris_boo

Hi!
I just installed Arc Hydro for ArcGis 10 and i receive this error in processing DEM Reconditioning

"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"

Help please

Natalie
0 Kudos
40 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: chukitskoye

Oh dear. I'm going to have add my woes to the list of those plagued by "Error during conversion" while trying to recondition a DEM in ArcHydro. synaps, have you found anything new to report?

I'm running the latest version of ArcHydro on ArcGIS 10.1, at ArcInfo level (afaik it's ArcInfo--I'm using the "Desktop Advanced Student Edition," as I am a student). I am running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.

I've followed all of the steps outlined in the Geoprocessing Tutorial pdf (on the FTP site), and listed in other posts. I'm putting my rasters and vectors in their proper places. My river is in a feature class inside a feature dataset in a .gdb; folder names and indeed the whole path has no spaces, etc...whole new projects; clearing my temp folder every time I try to run the tool; saving my mxd; and, as mentioned, all the steps listed in the error-solving post on this forum.

Still, this error pops up each time, much like synaps' original error:

Making sharp constant grid ..
ERROR 010024: Error during conversion.
Failed to execute (DEMReconditioning).
Failed at Wed Oct 31 22:25:09 2012 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)

Every time at the "making sharp constant grid" step, the tool fails. Argh! I've tried using a .tif and a regular GRID as the raw DEM input, but no dice either way. Does the bit depth/pixel type matter? What else can I try to do?

All insight is appreciated. Thank you!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
Sound's like its time for ESRI to speak to this error.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: synaps

chukitskoye, nope... nothing new to inform.
MBoucher21, how we can invite them to this thread?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
how we can invite them to this thread?

I sent a msg to an ESRI Senior Member asking them if they could direct an ESRI person to this link. Let's see what happens.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cdarti

You should see a more explicit error message in the geoprocessing result window.
If you are not using shapefiles, the error is likely that your input stream feature class has the OID field instead of the OBJECTID field.
During our upgrade of the code to take advantage of the geoprocessing conversion tool in DEM Reconditioning, we have hardcoded the field OBJECTID by mistake (instead of letting the system figuring it out -- OID, OBJECTID, etc.). So the tool fails when OBJECTID is not found in the input stream feature class.  The workaround is to add the OBJECTID field to your input stream feature class.

We are in the middle of major changes and will post the fix with the latest updates.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Water Resources Team
Arc Hydro Release Manager
0 Kudos
D_D_
by
New Contributor II
:confused:
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MBoucher21

Thanks Christine!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
Dmitrii,

I downloaded the tutorial data from the link you provided and started an mxd. I set up a model in Model Builder. I find the runtime messages from Model Builder are a little more informative. I saw a message about the elev DEM being integer. So, I used the raster calculator function Float() function to make a floating point DEM. I tried again and found my target locations were off (I hadn't started by closing ArcMap and starting from scratch). I also saved the mxd with a shorter name, made sure the processing extent was the same as my new DEM. I started up the model again and it ran fine all the way through AdjointCatchment (see image).

So, I think the tutorial stream data is good and it comes with the correct field name (OBJECTID). I think your error might be that DEM is integer and needs to be converted to floating point. After getting the Model to run with a floating point DEM, I ran it again with the integer DEM and it didn't get past the DEM Reconditioning. I changed to the floating point DEM and it ran fine.

So use the raster calculator float() function to create a floating point DEM. Then check the processing extent and the target locations to make sure they are correct. The best thing to do is to start with a fresh mxd with a simple name and save it after adding the DEM and stream layer.

Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19026[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: synaps

Mark, thank you very much for your time and investigation into the problem. I did everything!
Could you please attach this model for ModelBuilder, so I can see an error result by myself?
Now I have some new error in execution the Polyline To Raster tool (I think DEM Reconditioning process is using this tool): "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component". I should understand what is the problem to give all my insights.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
Dmitrii,

I just started a new mxd, added the NHDFlowline layer, added elev_cm, saved as SM.mxd (a simple file name), in G:\fldctl\PROGRAMS\ArcHydro\DataForArcHydro20Tutorial\SanMarcos (a long directory name, but with no spaces). Then I ran the DEM Reconditioning and it ran fine. This is with the elev_cm which is an "unsigned integer" grid which I thought might be a problem, but obviously isn't.

My sense is that your problem is not the data. Check your directory path and make sure it has no spaces. Start from a clean mxd so the target locations are set properly. Keep it simple and see if it runs.

FYI - my target locations are (look under ApUtilities\Set Target Locations\HydroConfig):[INDENT]Raster Data: G:\fldctl\PROGRAMS\ArcHydro\DataForArcHydro20Tutorial\SanMarcos\
Vector Data: G:\fldctl\PROGRAMS\ArcHydro\DataForArcHydro20Tutorial\SanMarcos\sm.gdb (sm.gdb here has the same name as the name of as my sm.mxd)[/INDENT]

I've attached a zip of the Toolbox with the Model in it. The bulk of the Model can be found in the Arc Hydro Toolbox.tbx under Terrain Preprocessing Workflows/Basic Dendritic Terrain Processing. I've added the DEM Reconditioning and Fill Sinks tools by dragging and dropping that command from the Arc Hydro Toolbox.tbx\Terrain Preprocessing tools and then editing the input "ovals" to reference the correct DEM and stream data.

I suggest you put the unzipped Toolbox.tbx file in the same directory as your mxd. Via the catalogue in ArcMap open the toolbox and then edit the Model. Make sure the input ovals reference your data, save the model and then run it while in "edit". You can copy and paste the runtime messages to a text/word file if you need to keep them for study. I just did this for a final check and it work fine.

Let us know how it goes.
0 Kudos