DEM Reconditioning tool does not work

11-17-2022 05:55 PM
Labels (2)
NakkyEkeanyanwu
New Contributor

Good day everyone.

I've been trying to run the DEM Reconditioning tool on a 1m by 1m resolution DEM but the tool has made no progress at all. It will run for hours with no progress. Does anyone have any sugestions at all?

Also, in addition to the DEM reconditioning tool, is there a Stream burn tool? I'm trying to compare the differences in these outputs based on flow direction, flow length and watershed delineation. Is there a stream burn tool itself in the ArcHydro toolbox?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
NakkyEkeanyanwu
New Contributor

Hello Mark. Thank you for sharing the link. Most of the links and solutions seem to based off ArcMap in 2015. I was introduced to GIS with Pro and some of the instructions are hard to follow based on user interfaces and toolboxes. Would you happen to have some other resources?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
I have not ventured into Pro yet. Sorry.
0 Kudos
NakkyEkeanyanwu
New Contributor

Also, do you know if a standalone 'Stream Burning' tool exists within the ArcHydro toolbox? Probably under another name?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Stream burning is simply creating a raster using a line (agreestream) giving it a big value, and subtracting it from the rawDEM. If you want to make it a more gentle drop into this “slot”, or make sure cells near the slot drain to the slot, you can make a polygon from the agreestream with a buffer and also make it a raster and give it a small value and subtract it from the first burned DEM.

Walls are the opposite: You make a raster from a line with a large value and add it to the DEM. The agree steam would also need to be used as the breach line and so you would make the wall raster value zero at the intersection of the wall.

Note that to block flow with a wall it needs to be at least two cells thick to stop diagonal flows. A stream can be one cell thick since you can have diagonal flow (flow out of a corner of the cell).
0 Kudos
NakkyEkeanyanwu
New Contributor

Hello Mark. I was able to go through the steps in the previous link you sent and ensured that the necessary changes were made to set up the environment, clear the cache and so on. Unfortunately, the tool still keeps running without any progress. Do you have any more insight please?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Sorry. I don’t yet use Pro. I don’t have access to my ArcMap right now and am out until 11/28.
0 Kudos