Select to view content in your preferred language

Batch Watershed Delineation for Polygons

12-19-2010 10:43 PM
KajsaBovin
Emerging Contributor
Hi!
I have a problem to perform the step Batch Watershed Delineation for Polygons. All the steps in Terrain Preprocessing works fine. I have also used the Batch Watershed Delineation a couple of times before without porblems, but some days ago it didn't work anymore.

When the step is finished I get the message "0 batch poygon(s) processed from 1 polygon(s)" and a Watershed feature is created, but the file is completely empty.

Anywone who knows how to solve the problem?

Regards,
Kajsa
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
I have had this problem too, and have yet to find a solution.
It has also been posted here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12462-Batch-Watershed-Delineation-for-Polygons and here:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=995&t=258012

The polygons I am trying to use represent sinks (lakes with no outflow) mostly, I'm wondering if the tool would work in regular dendritic, non sink areas, but I haven't tried.
0 Kudos
KajsaBovin
Emerging Contributor
Now we've find the solution of this problem!!!!

When "Batch Watershed delineation for polygons" is processed two columns are added to the BatchPoly.
The DrainID field has the ID-number of the watershed. The BatchDone field can be set to 1, -1 or 0 where 1 indicates that a watershed has been delineted and -1 indicates that an error has occurred.

During "Batch Watershed delineation for polygons" only polygons with no BatchDone column or with the BatchDone set to 0 will be processed.

If this error occurrs, open the editor and start editing the BatchPoly. In attribute table, change -1 to 0 in the BatchDone field. Save edits. Stop edit. Then run the "Batch Watershed delineation for polygons" again! It works!

Information about this can also be found at page 56 in the ArcHydro Tools- Tutorial for version 1.3 from January 2009.

/Kajsa
0 Kudos
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
Kajsa, that does not solve the problem I've been having.
I have tried using the tool on dendritic terrain (sinks filled) and I got a total of 20 watersheds delineated out of thousands of polygons.  ALL of the BatchDone fields are converted to -1 afterwards, even the ones that worked.  The message at the end of the process says "0 polygons processed out of 11789".  If the issue was the BatchDone field being set to 1 or -1, then the message would say that certain polygons were skipped or that no polygons have BatchDone = 0.

Here is my alternative to the "Batch Watershed Delineation for Polygons" tool:
Sink Prescreening, Fill Sinks (all sinks even real ones), Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, convert polygons to raster, Catchment Grid Delineation (using the rasterized polygons as Link Grid), Catchment Polygon Processing etc...
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor
Make sure the batch points are on a stream in the stream link grid.
0 Kudos
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
They aren't batch points, they're polygons.  Does the same apply?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor
They aren't batch points, they're polygons.  Does the same apply?

Oh. I have not used polygons in a batch delineation. I don't know if it applies.
0 Kudos