Select to view content in your preferred language

Arc Hydro Errors on Build Walls & Fill DEM

Jump to solution
05-18-2015 07:11 AM
LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I am encountering an error while using the Arc Hydro tutorial and on my own data.

Upon running the Build Walls tool, I receive the following error which appears to be failing on converting a string to a double somewhere in the VB code for Arc Hydro. I have turned off background geoprocessing and followed the recommended steps in the Arc Hydro Problem Solvers thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

The CreateFeatureClass command works. Then it runs

PolygonToRaster which also succeeds.  The result looks like it creates a raster of the flowlines.

Then it fails on Build external walls.

Executing: BuildWalls StrSlpDEM 500 2 2 C:\GIS\HydroModel\ArcHydroTutorial\Layers\walldem ProjectArea ProjectArea NHDFlowline
Start Time: Mon May 18 10:05:57 2015
Building internal walls
Executing: CreateFeatureclass C:\Users\lmsanders\AppData\Local\Temp\arcA42E\AH20150518100557\AHTemp.gdb tmp2486 POLYGON # DISABLED DISABLED "PROJCS['NAD_1983_Albers',GEOGCS['GCS_North_American_1983',DATUM['D_North_American_1983',SPHEROID['GRS_1980',6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Albers'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',0.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',0.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',-96.0],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_1',29.5],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_2',45.5],PARAMETER['Latitude_Of_Origin',23.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]];-16901100 -6972200 10000;-100000 10000;-100000 10000;0.001;0.001;0.001;IsHighPrecision" # 0 0 0
Start Time: Mon May 18 10:05:58 2015
Succeeded at Mon May 18 10:05:58 2015 (Elapsed Time: 0.35 seconds)
Executing: PolygonToRaster GPL0 OBJECTID C:\Users\lmsanders\AppData\Local\Temp\arcA42E\AH20150518100557\wtemp CELL_CENTER NONE 30
Start Time: Mon May 18 10:06:00 2015
Succeeded at Mon May 18 10:06:01 2015 (Elapsed Time: 0.88 seconds)
Building external walls
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value)
   at ESRI.APWR.ApHydro.ArcHydroOp.BuildWalls(ApLayers apLayers, Double innerWallHeight, Double wallBuffer, Double breachLineBuffer, ITrackCancel& trackcancel, IGPMessages& messages, String& exMessage) in C:\Builds\HydroSolutions\10.2_ArcHydro\Sources\ArcHydroTools\src\ApHydro\ArcHydroOp.vb:line 13818
Failed to execute (BuildWalls).
Failed at Mon May 18 10:06:03 2015 (Elapsed Time: 6.42 seconds)

Message was edited by: Langdon Sanders - Updated title as thread contains fill dem issues as well

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II

Nice work!  I use a raster that is floating point, and have never run into a problem with it. FYI.

0 Kudos
SPhilip
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to level a dem using a lakes polygon. I am using Arc hydro tool. The tool ran fine and i got my levelled dem output, i compared it with the original dem and it looks like the lakes have been burnt in, but after i generate the flow accumulation i still have parallel lines within the location of the lake. These are my steps

1) Level dem, 2) fill sinks, 3) flow direction 4) flow accumulation. I did use my leveled dem for the subsequent steps.

I then tried to use the lakes polygon as a deranged polygon during the fill sinks step, but i get an error message, the error being "error in reading raster", i have taken a screen shot of the message and it is attached. I tried doing this step with my leveled dem and also with the original unlevelled dem, and both give me the same error.

What is the best way for me to get rid of straight lines within my drainage? Are my steps above correct?

If i have a leveled dem which i got using my lakes polygon do i still have to fill sinks using a deranged polygon (my lakes polygon)? Am i missing something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SPhilip
New Contributor II

Here is a screenshot of the error message Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
SPhilip
New Contributor II

I solved my problem by converting the dem from integer to a floating point.

SeanKearney
New Contributor II

To follow up, I ended up with the same issue on my own data: only building the inner walls worked fine without error.  I only get the above error when I try to build the outer walls.  I have not yet tried your suggestion Mark, and the features are not currently in a geodatabse, but are on a local drive.

Thanks,

sean