snapping stop points to streets

08-15-2010 10:28 AM
sarmadhussain
New Contributor
Hello
I am totally new to arcgis programming. I get a gps coordinates for vehicles and these coordinates are not exactly on the road, they are mostly off by 4-5 meters. When i load my network dataset and try to find the route based on these points, the solver is not able to snap the points to any of the roads. Is there a threshold value in the settings which i can specify to get the points to snap to the road ?

Thanks
macher
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JasonTaylor
New Contributor
Great, thanks. I had overlooked that parameter in the tool. I am not using a geometric network because of my symbology needs. I'm trying to remove sections of the stream based on GPS points and it seems like network analyst is the way to go.

It also seems that I need to build a route layer within the network first before adding the locations, is that right?
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
I need to build a route layer within the network first before adding the locations, is that right?

This depends. What type of analysis are you planning to do with your GPS points when you load them?

You can load your GPS points into any one of our 6 possible analysis layers: Route, Closest Facility, OD Cost Matrix, Service Area, Vehicle Routing Problem, or Location Allocation.

The one to choose depends upon your analysis needs.
0 Kudos