join feature class to sql table then export to shapefile

11-05-2012 11:42 AM
helenchu
Occasional Contributor II
Hi:

I'm new to model builder.  Could you please show me how to use tool to join my feature layer to a sql table then export to a shapefile layer with all the selected fields I need.  Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ldanzinger

I'd probably do something like the attached image. Make sure your join field are of the same data type (whether they are Double, Text, or Short, they need to be the same).[ATTACH=CONFIG]19027[/ATTACH]
helenchu
Thanks a lot.  I'll try and let you know how it goes.  Another question if you don't mind.  I try "Add Join" tool (from Arc Catalog) and  I couldn't go to ArcSDE database to select "layer name or table view" for input layer.  Why is that ?  Is this tool designed to pick up a layer in arcmap only?  or did I do something wrong?  I thought it should be simple but...
Thanks again for your help.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ldanzinger

So it will require either a layer or table view. You can get this two different ways. The first would be to add a feature class or table to ArcMap, and once they were added, they would become layers and table views respectively. The second way to create layers and table views are to use the GP tools in the above model. First use Make Feature Layer to create a layer and then use the Make Table View to make a table view.
0 Kudos
helenchu
I would never figure this out by myself.  Thank you so much.
0 Kudos