Trace tool not honoring feature selection

Jump to solution
11-05-2020 09:48 AM
TimWhiteaker
Occasional Contributor II

I have a trace network built from a point feature class and a line feature class.  Traces initiated using locations set by the Trace Locations functionality of the ribbon work fine.  I'd like to be able to use a feature selection as my starting points instead of interactively clicking each point.  I clear all trace locations via the ribbon.  However, even if I select just a single point in my point layer, when I run a downstream trace and set the point layer as the Starting Points (leaving everything else as default), the trace completes using all the points in the layer as starting points rather than the selected point.  I was under the impression that geoprocessing tools honor feature selections, but the Trace tool does not appear to be doing so.

I'm in Pro 2.6.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Good morning Tim,

Selections sets are not honored on the class used as the input for either the Starting points or Barriers parameter in the Trace tool.  The best approach would be to create a layer file from the selection and use this as the input.

This is briefly discussed here in the web help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Good morning Tim,

Selections sets are not honored on the class used as the input for either the Starting points or Barriers parameter in the Trace tool.  The best approach would be to create a layer file from the selection and use this as the input.

This is briefly discussed here in the web help.

0 Kudos