T3G2017 AGO Topic: Technical

04-21-2017 11:15 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TECHNICAL ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

19 Replies
__invited__richardbschultz720
New Contributor II

I was wondering if an administrator could create brand new roles? For example, I see "power teachers", but could I also create a role called "instructors"?

AmyWork
New Contributor III

Yes Rich, an Admin can create a variety of different roles and title them how they see fit. I created a role for example for "Field Collectors". In an Org where you had administrative rights, click on My Organization, and then Edit Settings. There you will find Roles on the menu on the left. 

You can label your roles whatever you would like.

0 Kudos
JoanneLogan1
New Contributor II

Does anyone ever get a script error when you try to sign into your org account from ArcGIS Desktop? How to fix?

0 Kudos
BonnieBracey-Sutton1
Occasional Contributor II

I get the same script errors and cannot get in.

0 Kudos
BrandiLeRoy1
New Contributor II

Is there anyway to allow a student to be a publisher without letting them use credits?  Or having me approve the use of credits?

0 Kudos
JudyTumosa
New Contributor II

My students are always afraid that when I add them to my organizational account that they can go in and change what I have done i.e. change my water quality and fisheries data when I give them publishing privileges. They feel powerful having access to all that state data.

NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if there are any other nonformal educators out there who have set up organizational accounts. I'm still not clear if/ how I would be able to do this or what the fees would be. One of our primary goals is providing professional development to formal educators and introducing students (k-college) to science skills. I would like to develop ongoing GIS training workshops and field trip lessons using an AGO organizational account, but I'm still unclear how this would work. I would love to hear from other not-for-profit or nonformal educational groups that use organizational accounts in their programs. Thanks!

0 Kudos
NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

Just to clarify further, in case anyone has some valuable input or a situation similar to mine. I direct the education program for a rivers research and education center. While we are fiscally managed and hired by a community college, our organization does not have any formal educators on staff or run formal classes. We conduct teacher (pre- and inservice) and nonformal educator training, host educational events, coordinate a summer college intern program as well as field trips, in-class school visits, etc. throughout Illinois and occasionally other states. Because we are not faculty members, teaching college courses through our community college, I'm not sure: 1) how we fit into the AGO organizational categories or 2) whether I would be permitted to be an administrator for an account set up through the college, since the work that we do is not directly linked to the college campus work; our work is very much independent as a separate research and education center. Anyone else in this same pickle? 

0 Kudos
AmyWork
New Contributor III

Natalie, this sounds very similar to the work I have done in the past at IAGT and what I am currently dealing with now with Geoporter. Both were and are focused on conducting trainings with educators, both formal and informal. I think this is probably a special case that Charlie will be able to provide better insight into. My initial thinking is that it would seem best to have your own organizational account as you are part of the rivers research and education center. If it's not possible to have your own account that falls under the ConnectEd guidelines, then there are opportunities for non-profit organizations to acquire and organizational account and a reduced cost.