T3G2017 AGO Topic: Content/Sharing

04-21-2017 11:17 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CONTENT/SHARING ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

35 Replies
DebbieStevens
New Contributor II

Tama, I haven't tried that. I'll do some research on it. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II

What is the best way for students to share subscriber content with people not in an ORG account? One answer that I found is described here Using subscriber content in Web Apps and Story Maps | ArcGIS Blog . If this is the best way; how many credits are consumed?

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

I appreciate the is question Margaret! It seems there are different ways to share Living Atlas Layers with the public. From the link you gave, there are directions for Story Maps and Configurable Web Apps. I have found it easy to do with a Map Series template.

I am wondering if it possible to share Living Atlas layers in a web map and/or presentation. I am currently assistning teachers who are submitting student Presentations, Story Maps and Configurable Web Apps for the Esri National K-12 contest. I am not sure what to tell them if they have a presentation with a living atlas layer that is not showing up to the public.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Allison in Michigan

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Terrific clarifying question, Allison! For Living Atlas content that requires a login to view, making that public requires an APP or a Story Map. A "Presentation" is just a tweaked view of the map; if the user cannot see the layers in the map without logging in, the same is true with the Presentation. This is one reason why a Presentation may be a little troublesome in a situation where you want to make it public -- ALL layers need to be publicly visible if you want someone to view without logging in.

0 Kudos
SusanLahti
New Contributor II

If I am working  with a school/informal educators' group that is just beginning to investigate the power of AGO, what is the best way to have them collect data and share it in a map that will not 'freak' the new teacher out?  We have done mapping with INaturalist but I would like to move them onto StoryMaps and wondered if others had success with this.  Can I set up an org account for them using our Org even if it does not have an .edu. url?

0 Kudos
RebeccaLilja1
New Contributor II

Yes I have moved teachers from mapping to storymaps in one day!  

If a teacher/person is brand new to GIS, I often encourage them to get a Developers account to practice if they are hesitant to set up a school org.  Using the Developers account they can play with lessons.arcgis.com content or the a MOOC and get a good foundation - along with the PD and support I provide   .  

HeidiRagsdale
New Contributor II

I love that there is stamina within educators to move from mapping to StoryMapping in one day! I think the practical application of StoryMaps within classrooms is huge and I am setting forth with trying some student created StoryMaps as our last unit in 8th grade Science this year! Looking forward to it! 

0 Kudos
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

We are finding that starting with simple Story Maps, like a Map Tour, is an easy way to get teachers comfortable with this tool. I usually do short conference sessions, so don't have time to both mapping and Story Maps. Some teachers in Minnesota are working on step-by-step directions for teachers and students to create Story Maps. Will share here when they are complete.

0 Kudos
SusanLahti
New Contributor II

This is helpful to me. Loving story naps for quick and personalized exercises.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
TaraVansell
New Contributor II

The first assignment in my Intro to GIS class if for students to create a Story Map of their life.  They are to think about the places that are important to them from the tree in their grandmother's back yard where they made mud pies to the their favorite location on campus to study. It is usually easy for them to locate these places on a map and then bring in their own pictures to upload or find pictures online.  I have them present their story maps and it becomes a great ice breaker as well. 

0 Kudos