T3G2017 AGO Topic: Content/Sharing

04-21-2017 11:17 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CONTENT/SHARING ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

35 Replies
PattiWinch
New Contributor

I love this idea!  I have been trying to figure out a way to introduce GIS to teachers in my district that would be non-content oriented.  We could ask teachers to prepare for PD by gathering place-based images of their lives prior to attending training.  

0 Kudos
PatriciaDugan-Henriksen
New Contributor

Moving teachers from maps/data collection to story maps can be very simple and very successful. New users feel a great sense of accomplishment having a "finished product." They can create any map, save it, share it and create an app. I like the map journal as a first story map because it is very intuitive and makes a connection with language arts with the writing.  I also like the previews and tutorials with the story maps which make things very simple to understand and practice.

0 Kudos
AllisonHoff
Regular Contributor

I am wondering about how a teacher can share a story map publicly if working in a school AGOO where the security settings restrict members from sharing items publicly. I tried to create this situation in my developer account but my map was still visible when I put the url in another browser (where I was not logged in). Maybe that restriction does not apply to administrators ??

0 Kudos
DebbieStevens
New Contributor II

I have been invited to present at a two-hour session for our state's 2017 Best Practices in Social Studies Institute in June - focusing on Geospatial Activities. It doesn't appear, at this time, that participants will have access to computers in a lab setting, although in the past individuals have brought their personal computers. I know I want to demonstrate some of the great resources they can 'take away' with them, like the GeoInquiries. We will also take a look at Story Maps. After playing with Survey123 a few weeks ago on my own, and now in our first day of this training, I'm thinking it would lend itself to a great hands-on activity so we aren't just looking at a screen for two hours. We will be in the State Historical Museum of Iowa for the session. I have to think there will be an opportunity to pull some of the Museum's resources into such an activity, too. Participants will be K-12 pre-service or in-service social studies teachers. For those of you with experience at such events, would you recommend other resources to share in addition to GeoInquiries and links to Story Map galleries? Would a Survey 123 activity leave enough time for them to try the Snap2Map application, as well? Any input is appreciated!

0 Kudos
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

Debbie - if you are going to be conducting your workshop in the Museum, you may want to take a look at this:  ARIS: A Field Day Lab Experiement 

I learned aobut it at a conference I attended a few years back and LOVED it. I haven't tried it in a while but I think you would be able to incorporate the Museum artifacts in a really interesting way. I'm sure a similar activity could be created using Survey123 and a story map.

0 Kudos
DebbieStevens
New Contributor II

Krissy:

Thanks! I looked this up and did some quick review of it, and will see if I can use it or the principles to create an activity! Very appropriate for my location that day!!! I appreciate you sharing this.

Debbie E. Stevens

Career Services Coordinator

William Penn University

201 Trueblood Avenue

Oskaloosa, IA 52577

stevensde@wmpenn.edu

0 Kudos