T3G Webinar: AGO Org operation issues, tips, & tricks

02-11-2019 05:43 AM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

T3Gers: PLEASE REPLY BELOW, in prep for Feb T3G Third Thursday Webinar.

• What are your issues with ArcGIS Online Org operation (day-to-day) and management (marking period, quarter, semester, year)?
  • What works well for you in operating your ArcGIS Online Org (i.e. using it in support of instruction) or handling the year-long management processes?

We will set up the Feb webinar to address issues, and will pre-invite some participants to share what they do. (Hopefully about 5 minutes apiece.)

Tags (1)
31 Replies
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

Issues:

• I don't personally manage an org, but issues I hear frequently include managing logins and getting IT to set up the Google integration. The new documentation about Google is awesome but the hurdle can be internal.
  • I would really like to see an LTI integration with learning management systems such as Canvas, Schoology, etc.

Positives:

• The Google integration/SSO support makes things so much easier
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Tom Baker will demonstrate the process of cleaning out content from the "T3GS" (generic workshop) logins, using Python. This allows an admin to identify "these 27" or "those 100" accounts and then to iterate thru deleting content. This is indeed powerful but also "potentially hazardous" as there is no "OOPS!" button. But those with a little time and interest in coding might soon discover some very powerful opportunities.

CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Kathryn Keranen will demo using Story Maps as an "activity documentation" device, great for showing progress over the year.

DellaRobertson
Occasional Contributor II

Charlie, would you explain what you mean by "activity documentation" device.  When will Kathryn be doing this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
NicoleErnst
New Contributor II

Issues:

I create accounts in two different ways – either by batch upload using a csv or by uploading user emails to use the enterprise login. For both, it would be really awesome if there would be a way of assigning licenses (Community Analyst, Business Analyst, etc.) in the CSV file that gets uploaded without having to go in and manually do it for each student. That would be super efficient.

Also, a question about ArcGIS Online Assistant. From my understanding it does not allow students to copy content to a personal account, only an organizational account. So if they create a trial org account that has an end date, what happens to their stuff after their trial expires? I find that I keep users a really long time after they graduate because I don't want them to lose any content.

I can't wait to see that python demonstration from Tom Baker!

What Works Well

Using the enterprise login is awesome.

AllenRisley

Issues:

When creating accounts via batch upload the invitations on the accounts expire after one week.  No matter how much instructors stress to the students that they need to activate their accounts quickly, there are always students who don't activate the account and it is locked.  Then the administrator has to go through the process of resetting the password and instructing the students on how to log on with the temp password (e.g., password reset routine asks for your "old password", which in this instance is the temp password from the email - confusing for first-time users).  This reset process is time consuming for admins - increasing the time window to 2 weeks might significantly decrease the number of resets we have to do.  And yes, I want to implement SSO - but I have to wait until our identity management people are ready to do so.

What works well:

So many things!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Allen

PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

Not sure why, but as Allen notes I have tried both, added students and assigning passwords with no notification and by sending emails. If I do this well before a class I can be sure a good number of people can't log in.  Sometimes it takes multiple tries to get them logged in.

0 Kudos
LindaLoubert
New Contributor

I always have to look up some directions to manage any online accounts.  It is a pain.  I do not routinely do it so, once every semester, there I am trying to figure it out.  Such is life.

DellaRobertson

Yes, I have students do a StoryMap once during the year.  I am sure that I do not exercise the power within the Organization because I am unaware of the possibilities.

0 Kudos