GIS and NGSS

10-01-2016 02:05 PM
betsyyoungman
New Contributor

Many teachers of science in the United States are now moving and re-aligning curriculum to meet the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).  These standards are 3 dimensional and include not only Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCI), but also Science and Engineering Practices (SEPs) and Cross-Cutting Concepts (CCC).   I think the standards are fantastic, but somewhat daunting to grasp for most teachers.  

Has anyone had any experience with aligning their GIS-based lessons with these new 3-D standards?  I'd like to know where people think the GIS lessons best address the NGSS SEPs and CCCs.  

Betsy 

Tags (2)
2 Replies
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Great question Betsy. You might also want to share this with an even wider world by sharing with the K12 Instruction group. Join that group, then you can share this item with it by clicking "Share".

0 Kudos
LoriHare
New Contributor III

We sort of do this with our project. We have principles for Geospatial Inquiry, which we have aligned with 7 elements of ambitious science teaching (ambitiousscienceteaching.org) and Science Practices. We moved away from science-specific so it would apply more generally, but I'd be happy to share them with you or talk some more offline www.pod-stem.org

0 Kudos