Select to view content in your preferred language

Preparing source data for Fabric load...

10-27-2010 06:58 AM
Labels (1)
NickKenczka
New Contributor II
Hello everyone,

I am working through the pre-processing of our land records source data for the eventual migration into a parcel fabric.  I've read through all the help, I've tested both the load through the topology and the wizard (_arc, _node, _polygon) and I think we've decided to go with the wizard for the loading process.  I�??m using the Cadastral Fabric Source Builder to prepare our data for the loading process and I�??m coming up with some issues that are creating problems when I load the source data into the fabric.

1) During the process of building a fabric source, not all nodes are being created where there should be nodes, and not all lines are being split where there should be nodes (done through the planarize lines tool).  Therefore, when I load each source layer into the fabric, lines are loaded as line strings and there are issues with both COGO and the ability to join and �??connect�?? new parcels to those line strings.

2) It seems as though when I load any specific fabric source into a fabric there are missing polygons where there should be polygons, and those missing polygons (post load) are actually there in the source data (hopefully I explained that correctly).  Just wondering if anyone else has been having any of the same problems. 

3) Has anyone come up with a good work flow for preparing your source data for the loading process (this is the big one for us)?  We are having a difficult time coming up with a work flow to adequately prepare the data where there are points where there should be points, curves instead of individual line segments, and all the other fun topological tricks and tips to better get the data ready. 

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
NickKenczka
New Contributor II
One additional issue we are coming up with is during the "build fabric source data" process many of the nodes are not being allocated a number, so when the line segment has attributes on the FNODE and TNODE fields those values are not being allocated in the node feature class. Therefore, during the migration process the required nodes to build those lines and polygons are not migrating due to the source data being incorrect.
0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor
Hi Nick,

Were you able to solve your loading issues with the fabric?  I assume from your reference to TNODE and FNODE that you were coming from coverages?  Were you trying to load the data in a fabric directly from a coverage, or did you move that data in to a geodatabase first?

Also, what version of the software were/are you using?

thanks, larry
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Nick,

Related to your question #1, there is a new Add-In available in the code gallery for working with line geometry. (Add-in: Split lines at inflection points and create circular arcs.)

This Add-In is useful if you want to:

1. Split multi-segment lines at inflection points; for example, at locations where one curve transitions into another, at sharp bends or corners between two straight-line segments, or where a curve transitions into a straight line (and vice versa.)

2. Convert densified lines into one or more separate circular arcs by fitting circular arcs to the straight-line segment sequences.

For your additional question:
many of the nodes are not being allocated a number, so when the line segment has attributes on the FNODE and TNODE fields those values are not being allocated in the node feature class.

For fabric source datasets created using the fabric source builder, this field's value is the same as the OID of the point feature. As a workaround, you can do this part manually by using the field calculator on the _node feature class and copying the OID values into the _<srcname> field.

On a side note: the topology loader methodology does not use attribute-based topology (left, right polygon id, from/to point id, etc) and, as you may be aware, does not require a node feature class at all. One limitation of the topology loader is that it requires non-overlapping lines, and it also does not generate line-points. However, in most instances the source data does not have overlapping lines, and line-points are a new concept introduced with the fabric; they are not essential for getting started with the fabric.

To use the topology loader approach, the general pattern to a successful result is as follows:

1. Start with your existing original line-work. If you do not have original line-work, then the line-work needs to be generated from the original polygons. [GP->Data Management Tools->Features->Feature To Line]

2. Run the Add-in described above to split lines at inflection points.

3. Use GP->Data Management Tools->Feature to Point to generate a layer to hold onto the attributes from the original polygons. Make sure that the Inside option is checked on.

4. Use GP->Data Management Tools->Feature to Polygon to generate new polygons from the updated line-work.

5. Use GP->Overlay->Spatial Join and use the polygon output result as the target features, and the point output result as the Join features to transfer the original polygon attributes.

6. Create a Topology using the Polygons and lines feature classes generated above, using a pre-defined set of topology rules, described in  the on-line help.

7. Use GP->Parcel Fabric Tools->Data Migration->Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric

Steps 3 through 7 can be implemented through model builder or python scripting.

-Tim
0 Kudos
JimHall
New Contributor III
You can save one step by using the "Label Features" option at the feature to polygon step and add the points (from step 3) with the attributes wanted for the new polygons.
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Thanks, Jim. There is also an additional step to do if you're using the Curves and Lines Add-in, and especially if you're using it with the option to create circular arcs. Prior to running the tool use the planarize lines tool from the topology toolbar, to make sure that the topo rule �??Must Not Intersect Or Touch Interior�?� can be honored later on when creating and validating the topology.

Note that there is now a good whitepaper on this topic here: http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/loading_data_parcel_fabric.pdf

-Tim
0 Kudos
adawiyahza
New Contributor
hi, i am a student who working with parcel fabric for my final year project.
currently i have a problem to load the data into parcel fabric. when i tried, a pop-up window saying:

The following source feature classes are missing
  COGO Node.
  COGO Arc.
  COGO Polygon.

anyone can tell me why this problem occur. i'm not using the cadastral faric source builder.
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

There are 2 different approaches for doing bulk data-load into a parcel fabric. Of the following two approaches, the second approach would be recommended for your case.

1. The first approach (the one that you've tried) requires setting up or having a cadastral fabric source (such as a COGO coverage), and launching the importer wizard by right-clicking on the parcel fabric, and clicking Import->Fabric Data.

2. The second approach uses the Geoprocessing tool called "Load a Topology to a Parcel Fabric", and it requires setting up a geodatabase topology:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12491[/ATTACH]

This second approach uses lines and polygons that are setup in a topology with a set of topology rules. It is described more fully here:http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00850000001z000000.htm

-Tim
0 Kudos
adawiyahza
New Contributor
hi,

so, now i need to clean my topology first. but i encounter some problem where i can't fix the error for rule ' must not intersect or touch interior '.
1) i have zoomed to the extent where i can't see the error at the point and polyline. is there any possibilities that the error are too small?
may i know the solutions.

2) may i know is there any tutorial that show how to fix the error i mentioned above.because i'm a new learner, not from GIS students so i'm quite not familiar with ArcGIS 10.
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
On your first question, I'm not sure why you're not able to see the error, but you should be able to use the planarize lines tool from the topology toolbar to solve it.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001t0000008t000000.htm

Note also that the whitepaper I referenced before, has some good information for the steps to using this data loading approach.Loading Data into a Parcel fabric.pdf

On your second question, the following link points to the help documentation for how to work with topology errors:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001t000000st000000.htm

Hope this helps. Apologies for the delayed response.
0 Kudos