Parcel Editor - Workflow between parcels, lots, subdivisions

03-17-2011 12:00 PM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I am using the Tax Parcel Editing Template to maintain my parcel fabric.  I would like to use a single fabric to maintain my parcels, lots, and subdivisions.  I have a couple questions.

1) what is the most efficient way to copy parcels to lots or subdivisions?

2) the annotation is displaying dimensions for parcels and lots.  How can I have the annotation display dimensions for parcels only?

3) when working with parcels my default line category went from "0 Boundary" to "3 Connection."  How can I switch this back?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor
1.  Not sure the workflow you are looking for but if you are wanting to take existing parcels that reside within the fabric and turn them into lots/subdivisions you can select them all and do a Construct From Parent and just change the Template type from Tax Parcel to Lot and do any manual editing of any of the existing lines, then just build and keep current. However, if you have all this data maintained across multiple fabrics you can save sets of parcels out as XML files and then append them in a new fabric.  I guess I would need a little more info of your current data state.  (Also, the tutorial data isn't multiple fabrics.  All those lots, tax, and subdivision parcels are all maintained in the same fabric)

2. Labels can be turned on and off on a layer by layer basis.

3. Maybe with this one something is screwed up in the template settings.  Can I get some more info with this?  Are you saying every time you start a new parcel /construction it is set to 3 Connection?  Is there a template set to the line?  etc.
0 Kudos
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
Jaso2k,

just a quick reply to your response:

1)  Thank you.  I figured out I was able to use the same construction to build parcels then lots.

2)  I know I can turn labels on and off by layer.  What I want to do is configure the annotation layer to display dimensions that are tied to parcels.

3) resolved itself after a restart
0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor
You can have multiple annotation layers.  Right click on the parcel sublayer of the fabric and click Convert Labels to Annotation.

I believe that is what you are asking, correct?
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II
In response to:

"2)  I know I can turn labels on and off by layer.  What I want to do is configure the annotation layer to display dimensions that are tied to parcels."

First, the question is are you referring to annotation or labels?....totally different.
Second, sounds like you are referring to labels and in that case you would define different label classes and then use a query to define what is in the class you want to label (ie lots or parcels).  Then, you can toggle on and off what you want depending on the definitions in your label class.
0 Kudos
CarlosIsaac_Cabrera
What I'd like to suggest is that you take the default template and really look how layer files and fabric FCs are setup.  We learned quite a bit just by researching how the default look was created.  That is the best starting point to really understand how to symbolize your fabric.
0 Kudos
CarlosIsaac_Cabrera
1.  Not sure the workflow you are looking for but if you are wanting to take existing parcels that reside within the fabric and turn them into lots/subdivisions you can select them all and do a Construct From Parent and just change the Template type from Tax Parcel to Lot and do any manual editing of any of the existing lines, then just build and keep current.

Ok, we are going to try this now.  We also found another way.  We exported our current fabric parcels types 7 as XML.  Then modified the XML so that it was lot type 6 (and some other changes); and we were able to append the modified XML back into fabric as lots.  The issue we faced was that we were not able to edit or modify these new imported lots.  We could only delete them.  What do you think?
0 Kudos
AlanaEaston
New Contributor
I am trying to cut a small section out of a parcel using construct from parent.
There are no existing verticies/line points so I am creating two breakpoints to snap to.  However when I try to add the bearing and distance measurements they revert back to all 0-0-0 after using one of the breakpoints as a starting point.  I have used breakpoints to adjust a parcel before but starting the cut from an existing verticie/point.  Can you help.
0 Kudos