Select to view content in your preferred language

overlapping polygons

08-19-2019 05:52 AM
KenDonald
New Contributor II

I have a polygon shapefile in desktop 10.7 in which some of the polygons overlap partly or totally. Is there a simple way to create records of these 'shared' areas which retain the attributes of both?

The best I have been able to come up with is a Union geoproccess using the same layer twice. The problem with this is that is created 4 records for the shared area. If the overlapping polygons were called A and B the 4 shared areas would include records with fields A+A, B+B, A+B and B+A. By adding a field, calculating the area of each polygon, and identifying the polygons with the same area I can identify the duplicate records and delete 3 of the 4, but hope to find a simpler solution.

The attachment show what I hope to achieve. If I start with 2 polygons called A and B I want to end up with 3, the unshared part of A, the unshared part of B, and the shared area.

6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Is it a shapefile or a feature class?  If the latter, I suggest creating a topology with a 'must not overlap' rule and look for violations

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KenDonald
New Contributor II

Thanks Joe, but I only have a basic license and from what I can see I can't create topologies. I found some interesting new stuff trying though.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes, that makes it tough. If two polygons overlap, would you consider merging one into the other? Or would you want to keep them separate and create a third polygon of just the intersection of the two?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you want the original polygons to remain intact, or do you want the overlap area to be removed from the original polygons and a new polygon created from just the overlap?

0 Kudos
KenDonald
New Contributor II

The latter - if I start with 2 polygons which overlap I want to end up with 3 polygons which don't, but retain the data of the original polygons.

0 Kudos
AshokVanam1
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

have you tried to find the intersection of two polygons? This should result in a single polygon of overlapping part of A and B polygons.

Regards

Ashok

Esri Australia 

0 Kudos