NG911 Set- Up

02-22-2021 01:47 PM
Labels (2)
mmedinamilam152
New Contributor III

Hey,

I have a question. I have gotten my line meta data reduced down to just the fields they requested. I am finished with most of it, except the Block Start and Block Stop. Now, I haven't done a dual range lines ever. So I looked for some resources on the methodology. 

If I had points there are resources that will create it based on intersection points but I don't have that data. 

I just want to make sure that my method is correct.

So the way I have been doing it is by putting an  arrow on the middle of the street line to the right. I added green point for the start point and red point for the end point.  This orientates the way I am facing down the line to make left and right distinctive. I then starts at the base of the line to then go to the end of the line.  That creates my start address range and stop address range. This is the correct way of doing it?

Do anyone have a resource or example that I can use so I can learn and get this right? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In your example, you'll want to flip your line as addresses typically ascend in the direction of the line itself. Your range would 592- 608 on the right side (after flipping) and 593- 605 on the left side.  My personal preference is to have ranges start and stop with numbers ending 0 or 5: so I would range Peach as 590-610 and 591-609. 

If you have access to the grid your city  is based on that will help; Somewhere, there is a coordinate value of Peach as well as Cottonwood. In the 15 years I did gis for 9-1-1 dispatch I made sure the address ranges went through the intersections.  In other words if Cottonwood has a value of 550, I would range Peach as 550-610 and 551-609. That way when a UPS truck collides with a Fedex truck in the intersection, you can address the wreck as 550 Peach. Remember, even though nobody lives in an intersection, all sorts of things happen at intersections.

I suspect the addresses you have plotted are from the Master Street Address Guide (MSAG) which isn't a bad way to start, but again, my personal preference is to range streets by the underlying grid.  All the MSAG provides is an address where the local phone company provides dial tone.  If I were to use the msag to range the street I live on, my address wouldn't show up since I don't have a land line any more and haven't for years.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
mmedinamilam152
New Contributor III

Awesome. Thank you.  I will flip lines as I go so the lines approach the top of the range. That technique making the intersection 550 is something I would not have thought about.   

This city was based on a grid system, but 20 years ago they changed their entire design structure. So its basically useless for the newer developments. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Well, good luck with that then.  I bet you have a bunch of firefighters and law enforcement officers that know the old grid and scratch their heads everytime they get dispatched somewhere new...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Google tells me that Stephens Elem has an address of 355 N 5th St. That makes me think that Riverside Ave has a value of 300 .  I can't tell though if Lake Ave or Monterey Ave are 400 or 500 respectively. I suggest you start with the Aves and Streets and get them ranged accordingly based on what you know about your town.

0 Kudos