Locating property boundaries with Trimble R2 GPS unit

03-09-2021 09:03 AM
Labels (1)
Suedietrich
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I was asked to locate the property boundaries of a parcel and mark the property corners. I am using Trimble R2 unit, ArcGIS Pro and have Collector App downloaded to my IPad. I also have a subdivision map showing the bearings and distances of the subject property. What would be the best way to locate the property lines and corners on the field. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sue,

I know this post is several weeks old but wanted to touch base. You should probably check first with your jurisdictional authorities before you attempt this as you may be running afoul of some statute or another. Placing the property corners implies the legal authorization to do so in a defensible manner.

In my case in Arizona, Land Surveying is a licensed profession under the Board of Technical Registration. There are tests as well as a 6 year work requirement under another licensed individual before one could undertake that action solo after receiving their license. Doing so without a license can bring about various penalties. If the work is done wrong for a client expect to be contacted by lawyers.

That being said hopefully your subdivision is surrounded by other such legal entities with corners that are on an established coordinate system that you could use to establish the orientation and location of your subdivision in question to an authoritative level - not a GIS level - because the R2 with corrections should be accurate to the centimeter level. One your plat is properly oriented to the coordinate system you can develop the points through cogo techniques or perhaps build yourself a small parcel fabric. Once you have those points they can be downloaded to your iPad for navigation via the R2 and software like Collector or perhaps Trimble software. Also make sure the R2 is connected to a trusted correction service for the necessary level of accuracy - running the unit without correction will easily generate errors or the order of up to 10 feet or more.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos