Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrated Parcel Fabric Data & Line Points

08-23-2010 02:23 PM
Labels (1)
BRENTBENNIK
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has come across similar issues?

I've been working with a couple test fabrics (in preparation for conversion to the Parcel Fabric), and after loading my fabric source topology to a new Fabric, my two main issues I have are as follows:

1. My "...._arc" feature class fields LNODE_, RNODE_, etc. (and the other required COGO fields), are not populated with attributes in the new Fabric.

* This is when I've used existing file geodatabase feature classes.  I do have better luck on populating the fields, if I use conversion to-and-from a coverage file first.

2. Where a Line Point should be placed on my boundary line features - the result boundary lines are split at all corners - thus no Line Points are generated in the output Parcel Fabric.  I did read on the help topic, "line points cannot be added to already split boundary lines," but I'm curious if there is another way to go about this; mainly without having to go back through the final Parcel Fabric, and have to manually pan through (like over 90K parcels in our county), and add the Line Points?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Brent Bennik
MCAG
Merced, CA
brent.bennik@mcagov.org
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi Brent

In regards to your first issue:
After data loading, are you not seeing the fabric Lines feature class being populated with COGO attributes? Your source lines "_arc" (that are being loaded into the fabric) do not need to have COGO attributes - if there are none the loader will automatically generate them from the line geometry and populate the fabric Lines feature class with COGO attributes

In regards to your second issue, this is a known limit for the loader and we are currently working on it. However we do have an AddIn that will generate linepoints for you from a selection of fabric parcels. I can email that to you if you like

Christine
0 Kudos
BRENTBENNIK
New Contributor
Hi Christine,

That would be great, if I can get the AddIn from you please.

Regarding my first question, this is true; mainly though when I build my source lines ("_arc" class) from an existing geodatabase feature class.  In particular, the four (4) required COGO fields: FNODE_, TNODE_, LPOLY_ and RPOLY_ do not populate with their values, this is even after I've downloaded to my Parcel Fabric, using the Topology Loader.

Thanks for all your help!

Brent
0 Kudos
BRENTBENNIK
New Contributor
Hi Christine,

When you got a chance, if you would like to email to me please, the AddIn for generating line points.

Many thanks,
Brent
brent.bennik@mcagov.org

Hi Brent

After data loading, are you not seeing the fabric Lines feature class being populated with COGO attributes? Your source lines "_arc" (that are being loaded into the fabric) do not need to have COGO attributes - if there are none the loader will automatically generate them from the line geometry and populate the fabric Lines feature class with COGO attributes

In regards to your second issue, this is a known limit for the loader and we are currently working on it. However we do have an AddIn that will generate linepoints for you from a selection of fabric parcels. I can email that to you if you like

Christine
0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi Brent

There are actually TWO separate methods you can use to migrate data to a parcel fabric. It looks like you are trying to use aspects of both methods. In the future, we are looking to combine both methods into one method to avoid confusion. I will explain the two methods below:

You can either migrate data using the Import Fabric Data wizard in ArcCatalog or using the Load Topology GP tool, which is the method we recommend.

When using the Import Fabric Data wizard, you need to create a parcel fabric source, which is imported using the wizard into the fabric. A parcel fabric source consists of three feature classes (_arc, _node, _polygon) and these feature classes also need to have arc-node attributes populated - FNODE, TNODE, etc. To build a parcel fabric source, you start with the arc feature class and use the Fabric Source Builder to build the _NODE and _POLYGON feature classes - the script also populates the arc-node attributes. The script can be found here
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15721
The advantage of using this method is that an entire fabric source can be imported at once using the Import Fabric Data wizard. The importer will scale to import any  number of parcels.
More help on this method can be found here

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_migrating_parcel_data_using_the_...

When using the Load Topology GP tool, you need a feature class of polygons and a feature class of lines (lines from the polygons). A topology needs to be created on these feature classes and validated and cleaned against a required set of rules. Once the topology is clean, it can be loaded directly into the fabric. No arc-node attributes are required on the feature classes.
More help on this method can be found here
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_migrating_parcel_data_using_geod...
This method is often easier to work with than trying to create a parcel fabric source. Large datasets need to migrated in tiles because the topology engine can only handle a certain number of parcels.

It looks like you are trying to work with arc-node attributes when using the Load Topology tool and arc-node attributes are not required when working with the Load Topology tool

Does this help?
Christine
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Brent, there is a new add-in to merge parcel lines and then automatically generate line-points.  It's on the land records blog, please feel free to add any comments.

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/localgovernment/default.aspx

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/localgovernment/archive/2010/07/28/Parcel-Editor-Add_2D00_In-Enhance...

Thanks

Chris
0 Kudos
BRENTBENNIK
New Contributor
Chris, I did get the Add-in from Christine, thanks a bundle. I was trying it out yesterday, on some test Fabric data; it works really well and I'm finding it very helpful (should I go that route though, on building our final fabric source). I tried it also on several selected parcels at a time, and no problems. Excellent tool!
Today I'm going to work with some test data and the CadastralFabricSourceBuilder toolbar (in order to possibly use the Import Wizard GP tool). Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Brent

Brent, there is a new add-in to merge parcel lines and then automatically generate line-points.  It's on the land records blog, please feel free to add any comments.

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/localgovernment/default.aspx

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/localgovernment/archive/2010/07/28/Parcel-Editor-Add_2D00_In-Enhance...

Thanks

Chris
0 Kudos
RobinAlexis_Olaya
New Contributor
Hi Christine,

That would be great, if I can get the AddIn from you please.
email: robalexo@gmail.com

Hi Brent

Christine
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Starting with ArcGIS 10.1, there's a tool, called Merge Courses, that will generate line-points for you after you've imported the fabric, so you don't need to worry about figuring out the line-points on the original source data, prior to the import. To use this tool you select imported parcels that you'd like to create line-points for, using the parcel selection tool, right-click to access its context menu, and click Merge Courses. More information about this functionality is available in the help topic
'>Data review and cleanup tools

-Tim
0 Kudos