Select to view content in your preferred language

Anyone adopting Local Government Information Model format as their master DB format ?

07-31-2013 11:59 AM
Labels (1)
MiguelGarriga1
New Contributor III
Anyone out there are adopting the LGIM format as their master format for data update and maintenance?

We are just starting to load the LGIM with our data.  We have not developed any Extract/Transfer/Load routines to do this - so far it has been a manual effort. 

We would consider maintaining our data in the LGIM format, rather than maintaining a separate master dataset in a different format and periodically refreshing layers in the LGIM.  Just curious how others are working with the LGIM, and if this model is being adopted internally for uses beyond the ArcGIS for Local Government maps and apps.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SpencerLace
New Contributor III
Not here.  We have loaded some basic data, but generally run into headaches with it, so it is just a stale copy of our real data that is incomprehensible to editors and database users.  I've wasted far too much time trying to adopt this model.  I'm about to give up actually. We don't have the resources to make it happen like Naperville I guess...

We tried the special event template stuff first, and it's just not how we do special events.  We do have very special events, and this data model is not needed for them, ever.  I assumed things were different in other places where this data model could work.

As I consider all our other departments and maps, it's rather clear most of the data model is not for us either.  We have some data that does not fit, like tunnels, so will always have another db to maintain.

Thanks for your post.

Spencer
Park City, Utah
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Miguel -

There are several forum posts on this topic I would recommend you review.  In particular, here's one that talks about the implementation approaches we suggest.  If you search for "Local Government Information Model" in the forums you'll find many more.

In addition, we did a session at the Dev Summit a year or so ago that highlighted several ArcGIS for Local Government implementation approaches.  This video can help you organize an approach for your organization.

We would also encourage you to join our ArcGIS for Local Government Meetup.  This meetup is a gathering of users who are implementing (or thinking about) the ArcGIS for Local Government solution in their organization.

Bottom line, the local government information model has been developed to support the maps and apps Esri provides in the ArcGIS for Local Government solution.  The model reflects the requirements of these solution offerings and helps users deploy these fully-supported maps and apps.  Users should align their implementation of the model around the maps and apps they are going to deploy in their organization.  If you're not implementing one of the maps and apps - the information modal may not be right for your organization.  But if you are moving to Esri's solution offering and deploying the maps and apps we provide, organizing your data in this model (and extending it as needed to to meet your needs) will be the fastest way to deploy the maps and apps and ensure you can sustain them from one release of ArcGIS to another. 

Hope this helps.

Scott
0 Kudos
PatrickFly
New Contributor
We have no plans to adopt the LGIM as our Master data model. Currently we have too many legacy systems in place that would require a lot of customized changes to the LGIM, so it just isn�??t worth the effort. With that said however we have been a using the LGIM for very specific applications. For example we wanted to use the My Government Services Application. So we deployed the LGIM and loaded the data needed for that particular application while keeping the master copy in our data model.

The initial migration from our data model to the LGIM is not the easiest process. However once we have done it and have a method worked out that gets added to our maintenance plan and the data in the LGIM is updated during routine maintenance. This allows us to continue to use our Master data model for our editors and most internal users while enabling us to take advantage of the LGIM applications that we feel will be most useful for the public.

Patrick
Frederick County, VA
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
The City & County of Honolulu is using the LGIM as Scott described; adding our data to it when we want to use an ArcGIS Online application to serve it up.  I'm currently trying to feed it our data that will also be used in the 3D City Information Model and from there CityEngine.  One thing I'm already noticing and concerned about is the lack of synchronization between the two models and errors within them when checked using ArcGIS Diagrammer or X-Ray tools.  It can be difficult to get data into the model, it seems hard to manage features once they're in without transactions, and managing updates to the schema would add another level of difficulty.  It's a lot of work that needs to be balanced against the benefits of end product.

Still, the models are well-thought out and provide a very powerful way of merging the 2D and 3D technologies.  Our final products are increasingly WebGL scenes created from CityEngine.  For us, having a schema in a format that is more closely attuned to web-based world is worth the investment of time in getting the data into the model.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
We have helped several clients adopt and maintain their data in the LGIM and see ROI with the templates and ArcGIS Online. We are now in the process of upgrading several of our public safety installations to the v10.2 schema, since it shows marked improvements in the public safety area. In the state of TN, the Emergency Communications Board has adopted a schema that is much simpler for commonality among all the districts, but we have successfully created scripts that write out the LGIM from the production environment to a deliverable consumed by the State. The Address Data Management tools have transformed workflows at our 9-1-1/Addressing installs and we have seen an increase in facility site management as a result.

James Wood
True North Geographic Technologies
0 Kudos