Select to view content in your preferred language

Local Government Information Model for Stormwater Underground Injection Control (UIC)

04-24-2013 02:36 PM
MerekStrand
Deactivated User
The municipality I work for is considering moving its existing GIS data to ESRI's Local Government Information Model. This would mean migrating our water, sanitary sewer, and stormwater data from their current format to the new schemas provided by the Model.

I'm primarily responsible for the stormwater piece and in looking through the feature classes and domains in the Model I don't see any mention of drywells, perforated pipe, or other stormwater structures that infiltrate into the surrounding soils. The municipality I work for has many thousands of these structures, which are regulated under Underground Injection Control (UIC) rules and represent a significant portion of our system.

Seeing as these are common features of stormwater systems around the country, I'm surprised ESRI didn't seem to account for them in the Model - unless I'm missing them completely. Could it be that there is a section of the Model I've overlooked that deals specifically with structures regulated by groundwater rules as opposed to surface water regulations (Safe Drinking Water Act vs. Clean Water Act/NPDES)? Are there other municipalities out there with UICs that have already transitioned to the Local Government Model, and if so, how did you account for these structures?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide guidance on this topic.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Merek -

The stormwater features in the current release of the local government information model represents a basic implementation of a storm water network. Our focus initially was on the water and sewer network and over time, we continue to evolve the stormwater features to meet the needs of the community.  For example, a county in FL gave us some good feedback this spring and we incorporated weirs and other stormwater features in the next release.

If you're willing to share your current model (features / domains) with us, we'll take a closer look and see how we can help meet the UIC needs.  Feel free to send it directly to me - soppmann@esri.com

Thanks

Scott
0 Kudos
SteveJohnson1
Occasional Contributor

I am considering this jump as well. Our community has more than 3000 stormwater sumps. I look forward to familiarizing myself with the information model.

0 Kudos
MerekStrand
Deactivated User
Thanks for the response, Scott. I'll send over a copy of our UIC features and associated domains.

Merek
0 Kudos