Select to view content in your preferred language

Import Traverse file into parcel fabric creates a hollow polygon??

Jump to solution
10-03-2013 05:45 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am working in ArcMap 10.2. I created a traverse file using the COGO toolbar. I want to use the traverse file in my parcel fabric.  Using the parcel editing toolbar I open up my plan directory -->Right click on my Plan Name --> import traverse. This imports the entire traverse file perfectly. I edit the line types to represent connection lines and boundary lines and double check to make sure the parcel closes. I then attempt to join the new parcel to my fabric. This is where it gets weird!! No matter what, every time I try to join the parcel, when it builds, it creates a polygon outline of the parcel. Instead of filling in the shape it fills in the boundary and leaves the middle empty?!  The only way I can get the parcel to create properly is to re-enter all of the COGO data into parcel details windows which defeats the purpose of importing the file in the first place.  Anyone have any ideas????
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing the file. I've taken a look; I understand what's happening, and I have a resolution for you. Since the original file format has no built-in notion of the different line categories, when the data is first loaded the parcel editor grid is not able to identify (or assume) which lines form a closed loop, and so it is flagging the parcel as unclosed. You've already noticed that the lines all automatically come in as boundary lines. You've correctly set your first two lines as category 6- Origin Connection lines. The only other thing that you need to do is set the parcel's "unclosed" attribute to false. It's possible that this field may not be turned on for the target parcel layer, so you'll need to turn that field on first, as shown in the graphic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28108[/ATTACH]

-Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Daniel,

Would you please copy/paste the text of the traverse file (or attach the file) so that I can try it? Not sure of the geometry properties of the data represented in the file, but loading traverse files of this format is most suited to files that each represent individual closed parcels. As you are probably aware, this file format doesn't specifically support connection lines. Though you can change the category of the lines after you've done the import, in a workflow where you are importing closed loop traverses, I'd expect ALL the lines to be either boundary lines or road frontage lines. Connection lines are more like "side-shots" to use the term from the older Workstation ArcCOGO technology. So connection lines should not be used to represent a parcel perimeter.

There is more information about parcel line categories, and parcel "anatomy" in this meetup recording, starting at around about 48:30.

Thanks,
-Tim (Parcel Editor team)
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I attached one of the traverse files. The first two courses in the file get you to the point of beginning for the parcel. That is what I meant by connection lines. Sorry for the confusion I couldn't think of the correct term. You are correct in assuming the remaining lines are boundary or road frontage.
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing the file. I've taken a look; I understand what's happening, and I have a resolution for you. Since the original file format has no built-in notion of the different line categories, when the data is first loaded the parcel editor grid is not able to identify (or assume) which lines form a closed loop, and so it is flagging the parcel as unclosed. You've already noticed that the lines all automatically come in as boundary lines. You've correctly set your first two lines as category 6- Origin Connection lines. The only other thing that you need to do is set the parcel's "unclosed" attribute to false. It's possible that this field may not be turned on for the target parcel layer, so you'll need to turn that field on first, as shown in the graphic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28108[/ATTACH]

-Tim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Tim
Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my issue. I have not had a chance to try out your fix because we are migrating our entire GIS system over to new hardware and upgraded software and I have been swamped. I plan on trying out your fix tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

thanks a million!

Dan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I FINALLY got back to this issue. The fix worked perfectly. Again, thanks for your help Tim.
0 Kudos